cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Important] Spliced Cable?

Sonny333
On our wavelength

Hi Guys,

So for the past 2 months the WiFi service has been down in my area, everyone except my house has been having "intermittent" problems however for mine we've been completely down for the entire two months. 

We just realised today that by the front gate it seems like someone has spliced a Virgin Media wire, it looks like the wire has been taken out of the ground and just spliced into. It goes from black to white with a very poor duct tape job and the wire dangles to their window.

Is this dodgy or just bad on Virgins behalf, if its dodgy how would we report this?

See Image: https://imgur.com/a/j2vNVAs 

12 REPLIES 12

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You can post photos directly into the message.

What are VM saying as to why you have had no BB connection for 2 months?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hey, 

The people on the phone are telling mee its a "fault" but the forum members have informed me that its a SNR Issue (signal to noise ratio) 

I'd like to quickly add that we think the issue is with our router, we're unable to directly interface with the router via an ethernet cable. (We run a third party router). We had an engineer come over who 100% agreed with us but said they would be unable to replace it till the fault is over. Is there any work arounds to this?

Thanks again,

Sonny  

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I assume you have changed the ethernet cables?

If you take your router out of the loop and return the Hub to normal router mode - what happens on ethernet and wifi?

If there is a known fault (SNR) they autocancel all tech visits until its fixed - but if the Hub is truly borked they will arrange to replace it

I will ask VM to come here and comment

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi @Sonny333,

Welcome back to our community forums.

Sorry to hear your have been having issue with your service. We want to do our best to help.

I have had a look into your account regarding this. I can confirm that the SNR outage is still ongoing and the estimated fix time is 25 AUG 2021 11:00. However in your case you have been having connectivity issues to no connectivity for the last 2 months.

In this case, I have sent you a private message to further look into a resolution for you. Please look out for the purple envelope and provide a response when you can. 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@jbrennand 

We had tried multiple ethernet cables, we are unable to swap our router back into modem mode because we can't connect via an ethernet cable to access 192.168.0.1. We tried directly connecting with a laptop to the main router but the laptop and other PC doesn't recognise that an ethernet cable is even plugged in. We've tried multiple cables. 

We had spoken to an engineer who agreed with us but they said arranging for a replacement hub would be autocancelled by the system so we're waiting for the fault to be over which has taken ages

Thanks for your help 🙂

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You can access the Hub settings fine on wifi too.

You are not in modem mode with your own router are you by any chance?

Looks like Akua is on your case now - so it should get sorted

--------------------
John
--------------------

We can't, our third party router doesn't detect that it's even connected to a router. It is on Modem mode but we are unable to connect to the gateway via Ethernet or Wireless. Directly into the Virgin Hub or the third party one

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sound like your diagnosis of a borked Hub is entirely accurate 🙂

Akua should arrange for a new one to be sent out or a Tech to come and install one.

Post back in due course, with the final outcome

--------------------
John
--------------------