cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Im thinking of leaving with the high prices

Birkett0812
Joining in

Anyone else contacted virgin media after price increase at the end of your contract?  Will they you work with you to keep a valued customer? I've been with them 18 months and now I can't afford my bill so thinking of leaving and I cannot afford the bill they've slapped on me, anyone had this experience and can tell me the outcome? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Very mixed results - some people get excellent retention deals, some get poor or no deal.  Some get offered a poor deal, reject it and cancel, and then when they give cancellation notice, VM make an outbound call to offer a good price during the 30 days notice.  Some get offered a good deal, but then find a different one has been put in place, and have to fight to get the agreed deal honoured.

Your best hope is to be fully aware of the competitor offers, and be prepared to change ISP, then phone up VM, navigate to "thinking of leaving", and see how you get on.  Don't mention loyalty or fairness, those don't count - focus on the fact that you see VM's new pricing as poor value, and unless they can do a lot better you'll leave.

Some notes here to adapt to your circumstances.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Very mixed results - some people get excellent retention deals, some get poor or no deal.  Some get offered a poor deal, reject it and cancel, and then when they give cancellation notice, VM make an outbound call to offer a good price during the 30 days notice.  Some get offered a good deal, but then find a different one has been put in place, and have to fight to get the agreed deal honoured.

Your best hope is to be fully aware of the competitor offers, and be prepared to change ISP, then phone up VM, navigate to "thinking of leaving", and see how you get on.  Don't mention loyalty or fairness, those don't count - focus on the fact that you see VM's new pricing as poor value, and unless they can do a lot better you'll leave.

Some notes here to adapt to your circumstances.

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Birkett0812,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. We just wanted to check in and see if you have been in contact our team since your last post to see if we were able to help reduce your package cost?

Unfortunately, this is not something we deal with from the community forums, however our retentions team would be more than happy to take a look at what current deals we have for our valued existing customers.

You can check the link here https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/existing-customer-deals for existing customer deals.

Our team will always offer you the best existing customer deal available at that time including any promotions. These deals however do change on a regular basis.

Kind regards Jodi. 

ilymo
Joining in

First time poster, apologies for length of post but similar position except that I gave notice last week that I was leaving (no call back so far!). Am on £79 Ultimate Oomph going up to £147.50 in late April. Best price offer was £110 (new customers get £85 for similar package) or 100mbps broadband only at £44 (when existing customers I know are paying £24). Funny thing is today I get email 'a little reminder ...' that my price is going from £79 to £147.50 - so their system's not caught up - but perhaps I might be interested in new (similar specs except faster broadband) Bigger Bundle + Sports & Movies package at £154pm! And if that wasn't enough below that to illustrate what a good deal this is  is same package for New Customers Only also at £154pm!!!

Obviously doing their best to let me go. So it looks like I will. Might accept small price increase maybe but not £30pm extra or nearly 50% more for broadband only than a new & some existing  customers.

Hi ilymo, sorry to hear we were unable to find you an existing customer deal to your satisfaction. 

As advised a little earlier in this thread sadly we do not offer support with package changes via the forum, so you would be best off looking at our existing customer deals here and speaking to our retention team via phone on 0345 454 1111 or 150 from a landline. (You will want options 4 then 4). 

I do hope the team are able to build a package to suit your needs that is to your satisfaction. Please do keep us updated on how this goes! 

All the best. 

Molly

Hi Molly. Thanks for the reply. However, it highlights another issue that I think has been commented on elsewhere. The link for existing customer deals takes you to a page that requires you to log in to your account & there you'll find the suggestion to chat with someone. No deals are really on show anywhere. I'm just mulling the various options including alternatives as no call received nearly 2 weeks after cancelling so not hopeful! Anyway, cheers.

Thanks for coming back to us @ilymo.

Have you tried to call into the team on 150/034 454 1111 to have this looked into further as they maybe able to offer you a better deal.

Regards,

Steven_L

FSH
Joining in

After 20+ plus years it looks like I shall have to leave virgin media as my contract is coming to an end today I phoned to ask if they can reduce the increase amount as. I see other suppliers are offering much better rates .

The phone operative was not able to reduce payment at all . So I tried on the chat box to find out what I needed to do & was advised yes they could reduce payments not as much as other supplier’s but a bit , I said I would think about it.

I then received a phone call saying it would be a bit more  than the chat had said ??  
🥴🥴

bonifale
Tuning in

I’ve just requested disconnection; retentions person was as helpful as he could be.
I've been paying £64.75 for M350 Fibre Broadband, (though he told me that £63 was the standard price for this deal)
He offered me a reduction of £14 on that price making it £49 for an 18 month contract, (which would obviously be increased to £55.76 in April). 
I elected to leave.

I’ve been trialing the Three Mobile 5G system for the last couple of months with great success.
3 months free and then £20 a month from month 4. https://www.three.co.uk/store/broadband/home-broadband

I’m getting variable speeds between 200 and 800 Mb (occasionally over 1Gb), which has worked perfectly with two of us working remotely from home via VPN and when streaming Netflix etc. to two Smart TVs simultaneously.

This represents an immediate saving of £537 pa (£644.28 when the price increases in April)

Can toughly recommend it.

Hi bonifale, 

Thanks for taking the time to post about your recent experience in the Community.

We're sorry to hear you've decided to leave us but we understand you need to do what's right for you. 

We wish you the best of luck going forward with your new provider. 

If you have any further issues, please let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs