cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP addresses?

Reece11
On our wavelength

There are several Virgin Media IP addresses that I'm connecting to, I am just wondering why I'm connecting to them. I'm on the latest 64 bit version of Mozilla Firefox and my laptop has Windows 8.1 Professional 64 Bit with the latest updates installed, I'm using Malwarebytes and I also use Sophos Scan & Clean 64 bit.

A few of the Virgin Media IP addresses are static virgin media business IP addresses. I'm trying to figure out why and how they are establishing connections. I've ran AV scans and it's come back clean. However I did notice that when I do connect to Wi-Fi for some reason the Megabyte usage of explorer.exe seems slightly higher. Could this potentially be an indicator of some type of remote administration tool that has infected my laptop, or hollow process injection?

I tested the same thing with a brand new Windows 10 tablet, and low and behold the same Virgin Media IP addresses establish connections and I seem to be connecting to them, for whatever reason it may be.

Would sticking the Hub 3 into Modem mode and purchasing a third party router stop such odd IP addresses establishing themselves whether inbound or outbound?

I've ran several MBR scans as well and it came back normal, well except for stating ''Unknown MBR code''.

I just don't understand how it can happen with a brand new tablet. In terms of the IP addresses. I raised this issue ages ago when I rang Virgin Media and spoke to their technical department and the guy who I spoke to was baffled. Maybe it needs looking into in more depth.

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
CDN
---------------------------------------------------------------

Reece11
On our wavelength
Thanks for the reply. Finally, an answer. Does it mean that the web page content is cached?

Reece11
On our wavelength

I was checking under via Command Prompt with the ''netstat -an'' command and I noticed that I have been connecting to several Virgin Media IP addresses.

Does this indicate that it could be another Virgin Media customer spying on me? considering I'm the one connecting to it, if that makes sense.

Everytime I post IP addresses on this forum a moderator comes along and removes them, claiming that it's private and personal information. Apparently the said IP address/addresses are Content Delivery Networks, I'm wondering what for. The connections are on Port 80 and Port 443. They appear mostly when a web browser is opened e.g. Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Reece11 Please don't create multiple threads for the same issue, it is against the forum rules.  I have merged your threads.

It is highly unlikely that any other VM users are spying on you.

"A content delivery network (CDN) refers to a geographically distributed group of servers which work together to provide fast delivery of Internet content.

A CDN allows for the quick transfer of assets needed for loading Internet content including HTML pages, javascript files, stylesheets, images, and videos. The popularity of CDN services continues to grow, and today the majority of web traffic is served through CDNs, including traffic from major sites like Facebook, Netflix, and Amazon."

https://www.cloudflare.com/en-gb/learning/cdn/what-is-a-cdn/

My setup: VM TV 360 box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Will you please stop looking for problems that do not exist. It is impossible for your laptop to be connected to "static virgin media business IP addresses".

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection