cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Blocking

ellisb51
Joining in

My public IP seems to be blocked on a very large range of websites.

I have no reason for this to have happened e.g. malware / VPN / antivirus etc so please don't suggest anything like that. 

I have tried switching between modem & router mode with external router to try and force a public IP change however this was unsuccessful. And I don't expect leaving the router turned off for a while will help as the IP addresses seem to be quite 'static' even though they are meant to be dynamic.

Are VM able to change the public IP manually as I cannot access a huge range of websites?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thank you.

20 REPLIES 20

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @ellisb51 

Did you follow the correct sequence when switching to the external router ?

You need to follow this sequence 

Put the VM hub into modem mode and make sure the bottom led is magenta (reddish) then turn OFF the hub.

Fully initialise your own router, with the WAN port set to DHCP.

Plug it into the VM hub, it doesn't matter which port, but only one port works in router mode so remove any other ethernet cables from the hub3.

Then power on the VM hub and it should work, giving you a new IP address.

Don't forget if you switch back you will return to the original VM IP address.. 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

jem101
Superstar

No there is no mechanism for VM to change your public IP address. But if you have switched the VM hub into modem mode with your own router then absolutely that will change your public IP address so I'm not sure what can be happening here. Are you sure you did properly change to modem mode?

My mistake - I don’t want to remain in modem mode. I thought switching to and from will change my original dynamic external IP in router mode but obviously not.

is blacklisting just something that usually goes away within a few days?

is there anything else I can do?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @ellisb51 

Have you checked your IP with any spam list websites?

EG  https://cleantalk.org/blacklists   and https://cleantalk.org/help/deletion-from-public-page 

https://www.barracudacentral.org/lookups 

https://www.abuseat.org/ 

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi,

Search Result: xxx.xxx… spam activity is not found. Not found any records

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If nothing is showing on all 3 of those sites then it's probably something else. Possibly to do with gaming ( people pop on here they've been DOS attacked through upsetting people gaming) 

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Change your DNS to 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8 or 9.9.9.9
---------------------------------------------------------------

I can't change DNS settings as I am in router mode. I can't really use the connection in modem mode as the external router is quite old (only b/g I think!)

Thanks

Twyst
On our wavelength

You can force a new IP address by putting your hub into modem mode and directly wire a laptop into it. Aquire your public IP via a DHCP client and then instruct the DHCP client to release the address. Once done, put your hub back how it was and you will get a new address once it's back up.