cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IOT device segregation

Lizardman
Tuning in

Hi all,

I have a few IOT devices and I've no doubt the family will buy more and more as time goes on, so I was going to enable my guest network on my hub 3.0, move them all over to it and be done with it, but in reading some posts here on the topic, it seems that the first network isn't ideal for IOT devices.

Is this true, or am I misunderstood? 

What's the best way to deal with IOT if not through segregation?

Will I have to buy a third party router and connect it to the router? (If so I'll have to dive into YouTube for some lessons >.<)

Thanks for any help!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

If the guest network works use that on the hub but wired will not be isolated.

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

a guest network would generally isolate devices from each other.
they shouldn't be able to see any other device and only have internet access.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

20 REPLIES 20

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
You can get a router like this.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zyxel-ZyWALL-Wireless-Firewall-recommended/dp/B00KD5LJI4/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=...
then you just need to configure it which is the hard part so you have LAN1 192.168.0.1 and wireless and LAN2 192.168.1.1 for IOT then SSID to connect to LAN2 for IOT.

Timwilky
Fibre optic

I have all my so called smart devices on a separate LAN, together with dedicated access points to ensure complete separation from my home network.

So that is 5 CCTV+DVR, rules in place to stop them talking to the Chinese cloud servers. access either from home network or VPN.
About 10 assorted Sonoff+home made switches running Tasmota.

Pi4 running Openhab/Mosquitto with rules to allow backup to home NAS, Openhab app and Openhab cloud service to control above Tasmota devices

Pi3 running  FreePBX with rules to permit SIP phone connections from home and internet, SIP trunks from Internet.

Smart Thermostat with rule to allow connection to Tuya

7 google homes. Music, google, Openhab/Tuya google home integration

None of the above have any place on the home internet. Yes I can connect to them from the home internet, but they cannot initiate a connection. Pi's and cameras are wired, switches and googles via WiFi. Wifi only permits known MAC.

I have always deployed multi tier architectures from when I designed corporate hosting centres with a policy of minimal access between the internet, DMZ devices and the back end services. When I first installed my cameras and observed they were connecting to about 30 servers in China and knowing them to be running a cut down Linux. No way did I want unknown functionality so immediately nobbled them and treat all other devices with the same suspicion. 

Edit. Forgot to say I use PfSense as my firewall to manage the interconnect between Internet, "Smart" network, Home network, Work network.

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky

Oh wow, ok, I wasn't prepared for how expensive it would be to add a layer of security to IOT devices.

If IOT devices can only be accessed through first gaining access to the hub would it still be prudent to put them on a separate network? Surely if the only access is via the router then it's as secure as I can get, and they'll be better targets than my IOT right??

I would consider myself a 3 or 4 out of ten in tech savvyness, that's quite intimidating!

I was hoping I could flick a switch, change some IPs and boom, more secure!

Does the hub guest network allow other guest to see each other? Because if they don't, that'd be good enough right??

Or is the hub just not up to it compared with 3rd party stuff??

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Best thing to separate out networks is to get a router, WAPs and network switches that support VLANs.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

So are you guys saying that hub3.0 doesn't segregate and IOT can be potential trouble??

It's quite a step from wanting to up router security to homelab lol

If the guest network works use that on the hub but wired will not be isolated.

Ok thanks, do you know if other guests can see each other on guest networks?

I'm just wondering on how secure it is

a guest network would generally isolate devices from each other.
they shouldn't be able to see any other device and only have internet access.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray