cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IOT device segregation

Lizardman
Tuning in

Hi all,

I have a few IOT devices and I've no doubt the family will buy more and more as time goes on, so I was going to enable my guest network on my hub 3.0, move them all over to it and be done with it, but in reading some posts here on the topic, it seems that the first network isn't ideal for IOT devices.

Is this true, or am I misunderstood? 

What's the best way to deal with IOT if not through segregation?

Will I have to buy a third party router and connect it to the router? (If so I'll have to dive into YouTube for some lessons >.<)

Thanks for any help!

20 REPLIES 20

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@spgray wrote:
a guest network would generally isolate devices from each other.
they shouldn't be able to see any other device and only have internet access.

Still two PC on guest and find out.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Great, thanks!

I'll enable it and switch the IOT devices to the guest network 🙂

Now then, everyone's first answer was to get 3rd party routers, etc 😆

Where can I go to learn more and maybe dip my toes into a personal home network?

Thanks!

Hahaha good idea 😉

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@legacy1 wrote:

@spgray wrote:
a guest network would generally isolate devices from each other.
they shouldn't be able to see any other device and only have internet access.

Still two PC on guest and find out.

That was meant to say stick 🤣 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, another question after poking about Google for awhile, is it worth getting a small hardware firewall like firewalla or look at raspberry pi?

Or is the hub router better than them?

Thanks!

if you want the most options available, then you'd better putting the huv into modem mode and then getting your own router that has the extra functions you need.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

ALF28
Super solver

IOT SMART DEVICES

I have used the hub 3 guest network for my now box (Roku) and it works well.

My now box (Roku) behaves oddly sometimes requiring a reboot or reset, and they may be targets for hackers.

Some experts advise IOT smart devices,smart TV's, firesticks, doorbells etc should be on a different network from computers and printer's for security.

This may help protects computers, tablets, routers etc. from hacking by segregating the IOT smart devices.

However if the IOT smart devices need to be controlled from computers, mobiles etc it may be segregating to another network may inhibit remote control.

One method is to use two routers, using one for iot devices as mentioned in posts.

see

FBI recommends that you keep your IoT devices on a separate network | ZDNet

alf28

segmented to a guest network

see

Podcast: Should I put my IoT devices on a guest network? - Stacey on IoT | Internet of Things news a...

What’s a guest Wi-Fi network, and why do you need one? | Kaspersky official blog

The guest network is only available on wifi, where ethernet cabling is used the connection is direct.

As most devices have ethernet connections some use cable or a combination of cable and wifi.

The guest network is only available on wifi.

Some devices use apps that can communicate with IOT (internet of things) , if not used they may be disabled on the  IOT smart device and always change default passwords for IOT smart devices.

I am unsure which is best, but cable is more secure as it wifi hacking is not possible.

My wifi guest network 2.4g uses the same channel 11 as the  normal 2.4g wifi network but the ssid is different and different passwords are necessary.

I tick "auto channel" so the channel selection can be changed by the hub3, often changes for best connection.

alf28

v6 box

The v6 box which is a tv box also has streaming from other services than virgin such a  iplayer, netflix etc therefore is an IOT device.

I have used the guest channel to connect the wifi  to the v6 box providing segregation from my computer network and it works fine.

alf28

Guest channel-problem- now removed.

My wifi guest channel stopped working this week, I rang 150 and got for help. I think recent changes by myself to the  hub3 settings  page may have stopped it working but having done a pin reset I still could not connect my now box to the guest channel. I also I had  trouble with the settings page password.

I have disabled the guest channel and and connected to to the normal 2.4g channel and the now box works.

The trouble may have been caused by adding mac filtering   for  connected  devices and  I am now using and wpa2 security and may have done other setting changes that caused the problem.

Connected devices do not show if on the guest channel.  A separate network for iot devices sound sensible, rather than using a guest channel but would nean using extra routers and equipment.

The guest channel may be less secure and can be a target for hackers who can use it to help to compromise the hub by dos attack etc to hack the hub.

Alf28