Menu
f825_633
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

IOT Device not working on VM Connection

Hello Support.

I have an IOT device which uses a rendevouz server located at 112.124.40.254 or  54.200.199.150 which ever is available at the time.

I can ping and traceroute to both IP's from my IP so ICMP packets are being sent/received.

However the device uses P2P UDP packets on Port 10200 , I can see using wireshark that its sending out the packets, but nothing is being received.

before someone jumps to the conclusion that its the remote end. I conducted the same tests over a VPN from an endpoint in the USA. I was able to make contact and receive a response back.

I have been able to test using various internet connections within the UK

VM BB, Fail

EE 4G,fail.

Vodafone 4G, Fail

Three 4G, Fail

Plusnet DSL, Fail

BT Fibre, Fail

Zeninternet FTTP, Success.

BigBlu Satellite service, Success.

marine 4G, Success.

Could you look into this please. You'll also find a number of references to this on the wider internet where people are saying this hasn't worked since August 2019.

I have a quite an investment in these IOT devices , all of which are now useless.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: IOT Device not working on VM Connection

Try the hub in modem mode.

0 Kudos
f825_633
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your suggestion. The hub is already in modem mode.
0 Kudos
f825_633
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Support?

Can I have a response please.

thank you.

0 Kudos
Ptolemaeus
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I just wanted to clarify something, so correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying that;

ICMP packets are being received by that server

P2P packets are NOT being received by the server

Both work perfectly fine when connected through a VPN?

Because if that's the case, it kinda feels like an L3 issue, more so if multiple ISPs all have the same problem.

0 Kudos
f825_633
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I believe it’s a L3 issue, I have called the support people but using technical terms was lost on them. I was hoping to have more luck reaching out to the VM technical people on here, but no response to date so perhaps they don’t understand it either.

I read an article that a number of servers in the east are now being actively blocked although no official word from the ISP’s the author had approached.

Up until august this year everything worked fine. Strange thing is I was in Amsterdam over the weekend and tried the app using the hotel wifi and it worked, but it didnt work using the 4G connection. So it is very selective which ISP is allowing this traffic and which are seemingly actively blocking it.

Come on VM support can you look into this please and comment.

Thanks.

ry

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately I do not believe you will get technical support from any VM staff on this board, they are able to answer most people’s general queries, but are lacking in deep technical support. They may be able to pass your query along to a technical area, but I would not expect a very quick response. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

i would be agreeing with Tudor, could also be a hosting/firewall issue, the forum staff might be able to pass it onto the peers but wouldn't hold any hopes would be dealt with quickly.

--------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up on kudos. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution, but only do this once issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
Ptolemaeus
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Until Virgin Media or another ISP decides to do something about that node, there's nothing to be done sadly enough. I wish you the best of lucks with your problem though.

0 Kudos