cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMac dwonload speeds

sumospim
Tuning in
Hi all, hoping there may be a simple explanation to this but the download speeds on my iMac (mid 2010 running Catalina 10.15.7) are pitiful.

I am connected by ethernet and have just run a test and got a download speed of 1.27 (🙄) and an upload speed of 25.

I have run on Wi-Fi before, but hoped that connecting by ethernet would help, but alas no.

Incidentally, i have run on my Windows laptop, connected by Wi-Fi and get download speeds of 457 and upload of 36.

Is there anything obvious i could try here? A setting on the V3 router? Throw away the Mac? A setting on the Mac?

Cheers for all your hopeful help and knowledge.

Simon
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
All I can suggest at the moment for the ethernet connection is to try on different browsers. Try Safari, Firefox, Opera - I dont like Chrome it is known to be flaky for speed tests.

Try 2 test sites - www.speedtset.net and then at.. https://speedtest.samknows.com/ dont test on an App.

You dont have any antivirus software running on it do you ? (I have never used any on my many Macs) - if so - disable it - restart and try again.

Re wifi - that is an old machine its wifi card may be limited to 100Mbps - can you look in the Network settings and see. Also it will depend on which band the iMac is connecting too.

I assume you are using the Hub3 in its out of the box settings with a single SSID... you could play around with that to split the two bands and optimise the Mac speeds.

For example, my Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection (and 220 on ethernet of course). However, on wifi, they only get that when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 50-60mbps (others on here get even lower [<50] on their set ups) - it's just the limitations of the technology!

But if other devices are working fine - that might be a dangerous option 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Throw a Mac away - wash your mouth out ! 🙂

Try a new Cat6a ethernet cable to connect it to the Hub first - old ones do fail - usually a cable snaps and breaks the pairing.

What was it getting previously?

What does it get on wifi ?

What Hub model is it?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Haha re Mac.

So, this is a brand new ethernet cable that came with VM router. It is a VM Hub 3 (I have ordered the free upgrade to a 4(?)

I've just ran again and got 52 and 27 on Ethernet, so an improvement but not great in my opinion

On WiFI 76 and 27

It's never been great ever, but has been much worse over last month

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
All I can suggest at the moment for the ethernet connection is to try on different browsers. Try Safari, Firefox, Opera - I dont like Chrome it is known to be flaky for speed tests.

Try 2 test sites - www.speedtset.net and then at.. https://speedtest.samknows.com/ dont test on an App.

You dont have any antivirus software running on it do you ? (I have never used any on my many Macs) - if so - disable it - restart and try again.

Re wifi - that is an old machine its wifi card may be limited to 100Mbps - can you look in the Network settings and see. Also it will depend on which band the iMac is connecting too.

I assume you are using the Hub3 in its out of the box settings with a single SSID... you could play around with that to split the two bands and optimise the Mac speeds.

For example, my Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection (and 220 on ethernet of course). However, on wifi, they only get that when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 50-60mbps (others on here get even lower [<50] on their set ups) - it's just the limitations of the technology!

But if other devices are working fine - that might be a dangerous option 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

Thanks, John, will take a look and report back.