Menu
paul123fgh
Just browsing
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

IMO mobile wifi login q

Had to change the Gz channel on my wifi router, as mobiles were fast and laptop was slow....

This has kicked my mobiles off the wifi - now being asked to set this up again (IMO only), but baffled by the IMO phone questions, which dont seem to relate the what's on the router? Any help appreciated, obviously!

EAP method

Phase 2 authentication

CA Certificate

Domain

Identity

Password

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: IMO mobile wifi login q

@paul123fgh wrote:

Had to change the Gz channel on my wifi router, as mobiles were fast and laptop was slow....

This has kicked my mobiles off the wifi - now being asked to set this up again (IMO only), but baffled by the IMO phone questions, which dont seem to relate the what's on the router? Any help appreciated, obviously!

EAP method

Phase 2 authentication

CA Certificate

Domain

Identity

Password

None of those things are relevant to connecting a device to the Virgin Media hubs.

What exactly are you trying to do?

So you 'split the bands' on your hub - giving the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi different network names (SSID)? 

What do you mean by 'kicked mobiles off'  - they no longer connect?  Have you (re)entered the Wi-Fi password?

You seem to be confusing mobile and Wi-Fi connectivity....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
paul123fgh
Just browsing
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, I am definately not an IT person, so I had to change the Gz, (remove 2.5, leave 5, I think) as laptop was below 10mb, mobiles were achieving 110mb on wifi. Once I removed the 2.5gz from the router options, all devices are able to achieve 110mb, apart from the IMO device, which I agree is asking wifi log questions which dont seem relevent to the virgin router - baffling if Im honest!

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The VM hub can provide access via both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz band. By default, the VM broadcasts these two frequencies using the same SSID wireless network name. This can sometimes confuse some devices which only have the capability of using one (usually the 2.4GHz) frequency range.

Have you turned off the 2.4GHz radio (which would allow those devices with 5GHz capability to still run) but would prevent 2.4GHz-only devices (which could be your phone) from connecting as they would not have 5GHz capability?

paul123fgh
Just browsing
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That makes perfect sense. Still unsure why leaving 2.4 on makes the laptop operate at 10mb, but 5.0 alone (with 2.4 removed) hits 110mb. Maybe I need a way of ensuring the laptop wifi only connects to the 5gz channel - assuming i can do that in the router online settings? (sorry, this is all new to me - the perils of working from home!)

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Allowing the two frequencies to operate with independent names is what @g0akc was referring to as 'splitting the bands'.

By default, the VM hub will broadcast a name VM###### (where # are digits). This will be the same for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. If you split the bands, you give each a unique name such as VM######_2 and VM######_5. You do this in via the router admin pages. That way, the devices which use 2.4GHz can identify and connect to that specific SSID/frequency.

If you do this though, any of your other devices which are currently running on the old combined SSID name VM###### will need to 'forget' the old network/settings and reconnect to the new split band of your choice. The 5GHz band will typically give you the possibility of higher connection speeds. The 2.4GHz band will probably propagate through your home better. The capabilities of the individual devices will determine which bands you can use.

This setup process usually requires a bit of time and effort in trying different configurations to see what works best.

paul123fgh
Just browsing
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Defintely one for the weekend, while I'm pottering! I would assume a lazy workaround could be using the wifi of the other mobile via tethering. Shall try both. Thanks for the expertise, all!

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately the only thing you can do on the VM hubs is to split the SSIDs as advised. Other combined routers or Wireless Access Points, mine certainly do, allow you to change the transmit power of each radio. As 2.4 GHz will travel further than 5 GHz unless it is required for some devices it’s best to have 2.4 at low power level and 5 at a high power level. This will then stop a device selecting the wrong signal or even worse hopping between the two frequencies. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@paul123fgh wrote:

Still unsure why leaving 2.4 on makes the laptop operate at 10mb, but 5.0 alone (with 2.4 removed) hits 110mb. Maybe I need a way of ensuring the laptop wifi only connects to the 5gz channel - assuming i can do that in the router online settings? (sorry, this is all new to me - the perils of working from home!)

The laptop is possibly making a poor choice when given the option of using the two bands.  The relatively poor throughput on 2.4GHz could be for a number of reasons.  There could be other routers/hubs (neighbour's Wi-Fi) using the same or overlapping channels and so on.  You could use a free analyser app to take a look.  It's possibly to try choosing a different 2.4GHz channel (keep to 1, 6 or 11 to avoid overlapping).

5GHz is generally better in terms of throughput and it's less prone to interference/neighbours using same channel - there are more channels to use, greater bandwidth available and the neighbour's signal won't travel so far toward your property, and so on.

You can, as already explained, 'force' the laptop to use 5GHz by giving the two bands different network names (SSID) - then you only 'tell' the laptop about the 5GHz one.  You give the laptop the credentials (SSID and password) for 5GHz only.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos