mikelevine
Joining in

How do i do this?

i am entitled to three and i have a loft which is a dead area

4 REPLIES 4

VO2Max
On our wavelength

Hi Mike.

I was in a similar position to yours, you pay the extra for exyender pod(s), three are available for that money but they send you only one because that will suffice in most cases.

Simply call Virgin and tell them you don't have full coverage at home, they should send you another one.

Before you do that though, I would open the Virgin Media Connect app on your phone (install it if you haven't already) and optimise your WiFi. The app will guide you through logging the WiFi signal strength around your house room by room, and will automatically reconfigure your Hub settings to that end. Of course, make sure all your devices are up and running around your house so that your Hub can sniff them out.

Even before you do that though (sorry, this post is ending up back to front), I would reassess whether you have your Hub in a good position, and also whether your pod is in a good position to pick up a signal from the Hub, and therefore be able to extend that signal to the far corners of your house which are currently lacking. In my case the Hub is quite a long way from the extender pod, however I have a Cat6 network socket close to where the pod is, so that the pod has effectively a hardwired feed from the Hub with which to "rebroadcast". You may not have that luxury of course.

Sometimes you can get away with one pod, sometimes you can't. But I would definitely recommend using the WiFi optimisation tool in the Connect app, it will also do clever stuff like looking at channel switching (of which I was blissfully unaware) to avoid clashes between devices, not only within your home, but also if there are strong signals from neighbours' house conflicting with yours for example.

In my case I had an infuriating issue with my new Hub5 where I could either successfully connect a Ring security camera on the shed at the far corner of my house (via a pod), OR my Vaillant Heating Gateway which was right next to the Hub...but not both (see my thread on here about it, for a hilarious 10mins of reading). There had been no problem at all with my previous Hub3. In the end I just suddenly realised I hadn't used the Connect App, and 15 minutes of letting it do its thing around the house totally solved my problem.

Good luck, and do report back.

VO2Max
On our wavelength

[NB I should have said, the pods have a Network socket in the bottom, so they can either receive their signal from the Hub wirelessly, or via cable]

Cheers fir the reply

I already have two

my account entitles me to three

just was wondering if there was a live chat way of ordering one so i don’t have wait in line for an hour with customer service….

thx

mike

VO2Max
On our wavelength

Fair enough Mike, sounds like you have a very large house.

If you haven't tried optimising via the app yet though, I would still recommend it, you may be able to cope perfectly well with two rather than three? I think it's worth a try, not least because sometimes having a proliferation of kit can complicate matters and might possibly result in worse coverage?