cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a hub 3 that offers good speed internet but is very inconsistent. Any experts know whats going on?

wolff99
Tuning in

As mentioned in the title, i have a hub 3.0 that gives good speeds (180-200) but is very inconsistent at certain times and areas within the house.

could this be due to the network being congested  or is it due the layout of the houes? is there anyway to find out what is causing this unreliable connection and a way to  fix it ?

thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

WiFi speeds are always variable around a house. That's why they are not guaranteed. There are several ways to improve speeds if you need something better. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

could elaborate pls?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You could start here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/WiFi-Wins/ba-p/3958523

Depending on your contract you may be able to get one or more 'pods' from VM, which will extend the coverage.  Or you can buy an additional WiFi router or access point, or even a mesh system.  A lot depend on how much speed you really need throughout the house and how much you wish to pay.. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
try this
----------

If you haven't done this already - try it first - it helps sort some Hub3/4/5 wifi issues for some devices.

Go into the Hub’s settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless signal >smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box or “Smart Wifi” box and save settings.  May be different pathways and wording on the 3 Hub types

Then, go to advanced>wireless signal>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just type over to change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - Billybob2 & Billybob5) Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices. Use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want each device to connect to… individually from the "available networks" list on each of your devices. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.

All things being equal, 5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less congestion/interference (and is better for iDevice speeds than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and will be needed when the 5 GHz drops out of range and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App (or Airport Utility on iOS) to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.
See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi @wolff99

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear of the WiFi issues in the property. I have done a system check and there's no area issues/outages. I have also done a further check today and all the levels are in spec, no issues with the SNR (signal to noise ratio) or the congestion. 

I can see however that you would be eligible for free Pods. Let me know if you'd like me to send you one 🙂

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

hi john, what are Pods?

Hi @wolf99, the Pods are our version of Wi-Fi extenders, that are designed to offer stronger Wi-Fi signals in areas of the property where a W-Fi connection is hard to come by - these area's are also known as 'Black Spots'.

Would you be interested in having one of these Pods added to see if this combats the Wi-Fi issues you've referred to on your original post?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

yes please how do i go about get them for the house  ?

Hey @wolff99, thanks for the reply.

I can get you those sent out.
I will send you a private message - watch out for the purple envelope 🙂
Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs