cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge Latency issues, ping spikes ongoing for 6 months

mizzy887
Tuning in

I have had ongoing ping spikes for 6 months, I have put up with it all this time knowing that we are in a pandemic and that virgin media might be overused. However this has been going on for far too long and I'm finally fed up of lagging on video games. I will post network logs and BQM. I have already had a technician over that could not fix anything. Please can anyone help?

ping.png

28 REPLIES 28

Hi mizzy887, 

Thanks for your patience on this one whilst I waited to hear back from the team. 

They have advised that someone is going to come out today to have another look at things for you. Are you available today for a visit? 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi, yes I am free today. The latency is at its worst after 5-6 pm so It might be best they come around at those times.

I’m having the exact same issues as @mizzy887 and my BQM graph looks very similar. Interested to see if the engineer is able to do anything about the issues. As you said, it’s been going on for months for me as well and is unbearable at times. 

E3883EEF-895E-481A-A9E1-4BADE25DFC2F.jpeg

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/8653454bed9800f1f15e05821c023c7170492eaa

I was thinking of getting a 3rd party router set up and using the VM hub as a modem only as I’ve seen it mentioned on these forums that the VM hub is very unreliable and causes a lot of issues. Not sure if you’ve tried that yet but that was going to be my next step. 

Hi mizzy887,

Thanks for letting us know, apologies  for the delayed response.

I can see that something we call a 'bench strength'  was done for you on Monday. This is where we basically just strengthen the signal to the property. How've things been since posting? Did the engineer still call round?

Thanks

Beth

Hi, the senior engineer came round and installed the super hub 5 on Monday. Unfortunately this has not solved the issue as I am still getting high ping/latency which can be seen on todays BQM. On the forums you guys are telling me this is not congestion so then what is this and how can this be fixed. Everyday I have to battle with this issue.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/b784c67d39b0a25c967ee630491b06913fd195bc-30-03-2022

Hi mizzy887,

Thanks very much for letting us know. I'm sorry to hear this has now resolved the issues.

I've had a look and can see that the upstream channels are slightly congested, however they do not appear to be congested enough for our Networks Team to recognise this as an outage.

I have reached out to the Area Field Manager and asked for what the next steps would be.

As soon as I hear back I will be sure to let you know

Kind regards

Beth

Hi mizzy887,

I believe that an engineer visited you this week to take a look at the issues? If so, can you please let us know how it went and if you're still having issues?

Thanks 🙂

Beth

Knight7
On our wavelength

My issue is identical and has been ongoing for 20+ months.

An engineer arrived today at 4pm, I immediately set up a new BQM and as of 4:20pm the BQM isn't looking good and both videos and games are lagging intermittently. 

After making changes the engineer stated utilisation and noise was minimal on the cabinet. I have had a new Hub 5.0 installed, attenuators added and my cable was moved to a lower tap with a higher db value to dampen the signal due to the cabinets proximity to my property. 

Knight7_0-1664046803733.png

Knight7
On our wavelength

Was your issue ever resolved, if so how did they fix it?