cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge Latency issues, ping spikes ongoing for 6 months

mizzy887
Tuning in

I have had ongoing ping spikes for 6 months, I have put up with it all this time knowing that we are in a pandemic and that virgin media might be overused. However this has been going on for far too long and I'm finally fed up of lagging on video games. I will post network logs and BQM. I have already had a technician over that could not fix anything. Please can anyone help?

ping.png

28 REPLIES 28

run for the hills and swap provider. they said same to me all the time and my bqm looks exactly the same.

Yes the cabinets that provide broadband. The one I'm on is clearly congested and I believe I'm not even on the correct one as people further away from me have the latency issues at the same time as me, whilst someone who lives 2 minutes away from me is not having these latency or congestion issues. I know virgin media and other broadband providers have started to provide these cabinets to residents as their own personal one. Could I get this done to my house or have my cabinet changed to a closer one to my house please because this is getting ridiculous

469fef5c3ec1b250f67a31013674ab5e84e3db42-19-02-2022.png

thumbs_street_cabinet_fttc_fibre_broadband.jpg

Above  I've provided what the cabinets look like and another BQM graph from yesterday.

Hi mizzy887,

Thank you for reaching back out to us and for the update, sorry to see you are still facing the same issue, in regards to changing the location of your cable to a nearer cabinet this isn't something we would be as the ducting would need to be relocated which would be a big job, in regards to your connection I have had another look and again there are no sign of congestion or any other issues showing, please check all your internal connections are hand tight, can you also try a pin reset on the Hub to rule out a software issue, push a pin/ paper clip in the reset hole at the back of the Router, push and hold in for a timed 1 Minute, do not reboot during or after, allow 15 Minutes to settle?

Regards

Paul.

Hi, 

This is starting to get really annoying now, I literally have latency issues every day as can be seen from my live graphs. I have had a technician come over in the past and they have said there is nothing wrong with my connections everything is 'tight' and I have done to reset hole a million times. And you're telling me this in not congestion? So what is wrong with the broadband then? If its not on my end or yours, am I supposed to just sit here and suffer with your lack of good broadband service? Is there any way this can be solved or will I have to look into other internet service providers. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/d901baf18e82adc8dac00c4e406d472f1142454b

They wont fix that, or even acknowledge it until its worse.

They always lie at first when it comes to congestion, only a sustained barrage of pestering over a long period of time MAY get them to do something.

If you have any other ISP's in your area I would take them asap.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Well you could ask everyone in your area to get OBS stream CMD of ping -t 194.168.4.100 that should make the upstream bad for VM to take action.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi mizzy887

Thank you for getting back to us. 

I appreciate this must be frustrating and I am very sorry for any inconvenience this issue is causing. 

At this point, I think it would be best if we arrange for a technician to come and take another look. 

To avoid delays, I have gone ahead and booked an appointment for you. You can view the appointment or change the date/time by accessing your account here

Please let us know how the visit goes. 

Thank you 

Nat

Hi,

So the technician came last week and admitted that it is a congestion problem as he called the network engineers when he was at my house and they told him there is too many people at the conjunction box that I am connected to. Apparently this can be fixed as cables are still connected to houses that are not using virgin media broadband but this adds to the utilization issue, adding latency and ping issues to everyone who is on the conjunction box. He said that this will be fixed soon when a network engineer comes round to correct this issue. It has been a week and I would like an ETA on when this will be fixed or if this is even being looked into. Would like this ASAP as the latency has been unbearable recently.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It will not be fixed ASAP - often they drag on for months or years. See this thread re congestion and act accordingly.

See this thread re. over-utilisation and Andrew’s comments in Message 20

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Internet-keeps-dropping-for-several-minutes...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi mizzy887, 

Thanks for coming back and updating us on how the visit went. 

Checking the systems today, nothing has been raised this end by the Networks team. In terms of congestion, in order for it to be raised as a fault, the network would need to be hitting 80% usage for more than 10% of the time. As it stands the network cable you're on is operating at around 30% and the highest it's hit is only 60%. This would suggest there is no congestion on the line at all. 

As the engineer has suggested this as a cause, I have mailed the field area manager to check if they are aware of anything else affecting you. Once I have a reply from them, I will let you know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs