cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub5 vs TP-Link router - recommendation

Spangles1972
Tuning in

Hi,

Would anyone recommend using the Hub5 in modem mode and using a different router?  As the Hub5 is new - is it best to stick with it?

I have a TP-Link AX1800 gigabit wifi-6 router which I used with my Hub2 in modem mode when I started getting internet issues.  But when I got the Hub5 I took it back out of the equation.

Would that router even work with the Virgin wi-fi pods?

Just wondering.

Cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
That TP-link should be far superior to the Hub5 in most ways - a much better router with-better wifi signal. The only thing it wont do is work with the Pods - your Hub must be in normal router mode.

So why not try the Hub5 with the pods and if that set up works for you - if so - then leave it as is. Perhaps add the TP-Link back in - in bridge mode to extend the wifi signals.

If you want better routing features put the Hub5 into modem mode

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
That TP-link should be far superior to the Hub5 in most ways - a much better router with-better wifi signal. The only thing it wont do is work with the Pods - your Hub must be in normal router mode.

So why not try the Hub5 with the pods and if that set up works for you - if so - then leave it as is. Perhaps add the TP-Link back in - in bridge mode to extend the wifi signals.

If you want better routing features put the Hub5 into modem mode

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for your reply.  Yeah, I really need to use the pods, but I didn't realise I could use the TP-Link as a bridge, so I'll look at that.

Thanks for the guidance, much appreciated.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Spangles1972,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Apologies for the issues faced, our team should've recommended that Pods are compatible with the Hub in router mode.

Can I ask how many Pods do you have?

Regards,

Kain

Ooh, interesting...  I might have to try that.  Especially if I still get issues with these Hubs. 

Engineer just came this morning and replaced my new Hub5 with another new Hub5 so I'm changing all my wi-fi devices again.  I'd have to do it yet again, if I add my TP-Link router back in.  And I'm totally tired of messing about with it all.  New router still has errors galore.  I'll post again in my other post about that if it doesn't settle down.

I have 3 pods and I'm currently still waiting for them all to come back online after the engineer visit this morning.