cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub5 question

Codebreaker1963
Joining in

I've today updated my broadband from the 350 to the 1gb package, I have rung about this but nothing can be done at the moment. I recieved the new hub 4 and set everything up to find I can only get about 345mbs over wifi, so after ringing virgin media I was told I could connect by cable from the hub to my laptop and yes I got speeds upto 850mbs, but to me this is defeating the objective as I assumed when upgrading I would get the full or near 1gbs over wifi, but was told over the phone that until the hub 5 comes out you won't get those speeds over wifi, so my 2 questions are, when is this hub 5 coming out and why is the 1 gig package being sold without advising people you won't get 1 gig speeds over wifi with the hub 4 they send out to you.

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See Tudors comments on wifi in the thread below. Hub5 is only in the trial phase now will be quite a while before its general release.  You can add your own wifi6 equipment if you choose to get some.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/Speed-Test-Sam-Knows/m-p/4878862#M49694

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s unlikely that you will ever get 1G on WiFi with a VM Hub4, it will only do 940M with an Ethernet connection. It all depends what bandwidth you have set on the hub and whether your device can handle that bandwidth also to have to factor in the number of aerials in the hub and device. WiFi 4 will give 867M with a bandwidth of 80M, a lot of devices only support 40M. You can use 160M, but there are very few devices that can use this. Remember, VM sell you a broadband connection, nowhere will you find that they guarantee any speed on WiFi.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

carl_pearce
Community elder

@Codebreaker1963 wrote:

I've today updated my broadband from the 350 to the 1gb package, I have rung about this but nothing can be done at the moment. I recieved the new hub 4 and set everything up to find I can only get about 345mbs over wifi, so after ringing virgin media I was told I could connect by cable from the hub to my laptop and yes I got speeds upto 850mbs, but to me this is defeating the objective as I assumed when upgrading I would get the full or near 1gbs over wifi, but was told over the phone that until the hub 5 comes out you won't get those speeds over wifi, so my 2 questions are, when is this hub 5 coming out and why is the 1 gig package being sold without advising people you won't get 1 gig speeds over wifi with the hub 4 they send out to you.

Like other pacakges you share 1Gbps across multiple devices concurrently.

There is no reason why you'd need 1Gbps on one device, even for the most demanding tasks.

Sure with the correct kit you can get the full speed on one device over WiFi 6 however VM are very clear on their site that broadband packages are designed for sharing across multiple devices.

And even then:

• Are your devices WiFi 6 capable?
  • How far will your devices be from the HUB?
  • How thick are your walls?
  • Are there other WiFi routers in the local area that could cause interference?

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Codebreaker1963

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Are you able to answer the above from carl_pearce ? This will help in figuring out how we can get this sorted for you.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs