cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub5 & Deco Mesh E4 setting up WiFi

Benny2022
Tuning in

Hi I’ve got all 3 decks working but at the moment Deco is a separate WiFi to the virgin WiFi. My question is should I rename Deco network name and password to be the same as Virgins network name and password (advised to do so by Virgin technician). Or do I have all TVs and devices to connect to Decos WiFi now instead of Virgins WiFi, if this is a yes my Deco WiFi says no Internet Conenction

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Whichever best matches your needs and requirements and budget. 🙂

My 3 mates all use Deco M5 and are very happy with them. Though the M4 is well regarded on here too. Although Wifi6 might be useful to have since you have the Hub5 although its pricier (X series I think)

Browse their features here....

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/deco/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
So do you have the Hub5 is in normal router mode and you have connected the Deco's in bridge mode?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
BTW - the Deco E4's only have 100 Mbps ethernet ports so the first unit plugged into your Hub will limit all speeds from the Deco's to a maximum of 100Mbps per unit. Is that OK if you are on the 1GB package?

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi we are on the 1TB package and need this. Does this means the Deco e4 won’t work

Get a better router with 1Gb ports
---------------------------------------------------------------

Can you give me better guidance please

Deco E4 are limited and will always be limited to 100Mb you can get a router and use your Deco E4 but be limited to 100Mb when using them where a new router with better wifi could give you better speed to it with 1Gb ports.
---------------------------------------------------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Swap the Deco E4 for a Deco S4 or M4 or M5 all off which will get higher speeds. Max speeds will be on ethernet cable connections. See this for what you can expect on Hub5 wifi 6. Note your devices need to be wifi6 capable. For expected speeds on wifi 5&6 see thes...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/Useful-chart-to-show-why-you-will-not-get-1G-on-Wi...

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/realistic-speeds-wi-fi-5-and-wi-fi-6

--------------------
John
--------------------

• Hi John I guess I should start by listing my WiFi enabled apps:- Alexa, Hive, MyHeating, HP Smart, Hik-Connect and ROBUS

Some others I have too but can’t think at moment what they’re for (I think a bedroom light and various different outdoor lights):-

Magic Home, Smart Elfin, HomeConnect,SmartThings, HappyLighting

Think this app is only via Bluetooth:- Hue BT

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Thats not really relevant to the discussion at this point. On the 1GB package with the Hub in modem mode and a Deco Mesh system with 1GB ports correctly set up, I would expect that "everything" would connect and work just fine.

--------------------
John
--------------------