cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub5 affecting BOSE smart speaker

GH5
Tuning in

Hi.  Since installing Hub 5, my BOSE smart speaker has lost some functionality.  BOSE have advised it's a security setting on the router and have emailed me the solution to forward on to Virgin but Virgin steadfastly refuse to take receipt of this email and make the changes to the security settings.  Any ideas what I ought to do next?

Thanks.

G.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Those are firewall/port forwarding rules. They’ll likely be unnecessary to actually implement.

The issue here likely lies with the hub5’s unstable Wifi for non-WIFI6 devices. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

18 REPLIES 18

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What functionality is it that you've lost?

And what's the suggested fix?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Alexa and Air Play won’t work but connecting my iPhone using Bluetooth does. 

But what exactly did BOSE send to you to forward to VM? If you post it up here (after having taken out any personal information, email addresses etc), we can take a look and see if it makes any sense.

Hi - Email from BOSE below...

Hello,

Please sent this to Virgin media, They will understand what it means as they will need to use port forwarding.

Bose systems on your network use the following ports:

Port

Type

Service or Protocol

Used By

TCP

Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP)

AirPlay, SoundTouch / Bose Music

UDP

Network Time Protocol (NTP)

SoundTouch / Bose Music

TCP

Secure Sockets Layer (SSL, or "HTTPS")

AirPlay

TCP/UDP

Real-Time Streaming Protocol

AirPlay, SoundTouch / Bose Music

UDP

Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP)

Bonjour

TCP

Digital Audio Access Protocol (DAAP)

AirPlay

UDP

NAT Port Mapping Protocol Announcements

Bonjour

UDP

NAT Port Mapping Protocol

Bonjour

UDP

Multicast DNS (MDNS)

Bonjour, AirPlay

8080 - 8085 (PC)
8085 - 8089 (Mac)

TCP/UDP

HTTP, DLNA

SoundTouch / Bose Music

TCP

HTTP

SoundTouch / Bose Music

TCP

Media server

Spotify

MQTT

Remote connections

Alexa Skill

TCP

Bose Proprietary

Bonjour, SoundTouch / Bose Music

Kind regards
removed
Bose Technical Support

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Those are firewall/port forwarding rules. They’ll likely be unnecessary to actually implement.

The issue here likely lies with the hub5’s unstable Wifi for non-WIFI6 devices. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

Thanks.  I'm not a teckie person by any manner of means so it's all double dutch to me I'm afraid.

All I know is BOSE told me they were aware of the issue (as it'd been reported to them by others in a similar position) and that the fix they've emailed me would sort the problem.

The issue I have with Virgin is they won't look at the email BOSE have sent me.  They even tried to get me to subscribe to their Gadget Rescue service rather than just at least look at the fix BOSE have sent me.  Even if they looked at and advised it wasn't a help that'd be fair enough.

The Virgin complaints procedure is laughable as well as all it does is refer me to the same people I have the complaint with.  A bit like going to the police after a burglary and the police tell you to take it up with the burglar!

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

@GH5 wrote:

Thanks.  I'm not a teckie person by any manner of means so it's all double dutch to me I'm afraid.

All I know is BOSE told me they were aware of the issue (as it'd been reported to them by others in a similar position) and that the fix they've emailed me would sort the problem.

The issue I have with Virgin is they won't look at the email BOSE have sent me.  They even tried to get me to subscribe to their Gadget Rescue service rather than just at least look at the fix BOSE have sent me.  Even if they looked at and advised it wasn't a help that'd be fair enough.

The Virgin complaints procedure is laughable as well as all it does is refer me to the same people I have the complaint with.  A bit like going to the police after a burglary and the police tell you to take it up with the burglar!

You need to split the Wifi bands (by naming them something different) and then try connecting the Bose to the 2.4ghz broadcast. 

Looks like it's already on 2.4ghz.  Worth a try though. Thanks.

@GH5 actually what BOSE technical support sent you is all a bit pointless really, and saying that VM technical support would understand it and know what to do is a bit of buck-passing of the highest order.

Truth is this, presumably your system worked perfectly with the previous Hub, yes? So the issue will be in the different way that the Hub 5 handles WiFi, evidently there is some fundamental issue between it and the BOSE system, and, frankly, knowing how these things pan out, each will blame the other and throw it back on you to sort out.

OK here’s what you do, contact VM and say that the supplied Hub 5 isn’t working and demand that you revert back to the 3 or whatever you had before. They’ll probably argue or want to send an engineer out, you might want to disconnect the hub before you call in and that way they can’t say they have connected to it OK, checked and everything is fine - well actually they might say that, but at least you will know they are lying through their teeth!