cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub5 WiFi reconnect loop

Mosstalgic
Tuning in

Hi all,

Its my first time posting, I've just signed up to try and get some feedback from fellow customers.

I recently upgraded my hub from the Hub3 to the Hub5 and already have issues. One of the main issues I'm having is my mobile phone (Google Pixel 5) is constantly disconnecting and reconnecting to WiFi... I can sit here watching my phone loop from WiFi to 5g every 10 seconds... I've never seen anything like it. This wasn't happening when I first hooked the 5 up, but it's started doing this over the past few days.

I've tried restarting the router, my phone, reconfiguring the WiFi connection and so on, but now it just sits in this state. - If I am watching content online or my phone is requires a constant connection to the site I'm using then the connection will stabilise.. as soon as it thinks I'm idle or content isn't loading, the WiFi loop kicks back in.

I do have other devices on the network... Some are connected over LAN and have no issues. I have a few other things, like my Samsung tablet that has no issues using WiFi so at first I thought this could be a Google Pixel issue.. however the same thing happens with my partners phone, to the point she just doesn't use WiFi anymore and paid for a data increase (which isn't an acceptable work around).

My assumption at this time is that this is possibly something to do with some devices being confused on whether they should be connecting to 2.4gh WiFi or 5ghz WiFi... I have a feeling that if I was to create two separate channels and turn of the "INTELLIGENT switching option" it MIGHT stop happening... But, I would rather have the one WiFi network to be honest.

Have any of you been having similar issues? I've not even attempted to connect to my work VPN yet and Virgin are mithering me for the hub 3 to be returned... So far the 5 has been flakey to say the least! 

Thanks,

10 REPLIES 10

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

You’ll likely need to split the Wifi bands and find the phone will only hold a stable connection on the slower 2.4ghz band. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Save time and get your own wifi router with 1Gb and the hub in modem mode
---------------------------------------------------------------

@Mosstalgic 

let me ask the obvious question, did you have any of the same issue with the previous hub before you upgraded?

If no, then the obvious solution is to contact VM and request, no demand, that they send you an older model hub on the grounds that what they have sent you is not ‘fit for purpose’

No, it didn't do this before I changed the router. 

Contacting Virgin Media might loud logical, but from my previous experiences I don't think so... I can already tell you what they will do and say, none of it will assume any fault on their part or their equipment.

I'll just have to split the WiFi channels and see how it goes. 

So I'm understanding you correctly here...

Your solution for a fault on the equipment virgin sent to me is that I buy my own new router? I can tell you don't work in support 😉 

Thanks for the response, I'm aware I can buy my own router, get something better and probably solve the issue that way. However, I figured that I would try and get a solution to the fault on my new VM equipment.. with them rolling so many of there hubs out I wondered if anyone else had experienced the same or similar issues. 

@Mosstalgic wrote:

Your solution for a fault on the equipment virgin sent to me is that I buy my own new router? I can tell you don't work in support 😉 

Nevermind Legacy1, that is his answer to any problem. I'm beginning to think he works for a 3rd party router company 🤔 😄 

All joking aside, splitting wifi bands is probably best bet, to me it sounds like you are on the edge of the range of the 5g band so its swapping automatically to the 2.4g band and then back to 5g etc.

@Stobbsy74 wrote:

Nevermind Legacy1, that is his answer to any problem. I'm beginning to think he works for a 3rd party router company 🤔 😄 

I just don't think ISP should do router mode or NAT when really your paying for a IP and not to have it NATed and limited support.

I'm sure VM are now testing hubs in modem mode to make sure it passes what one IP is meant to do on the internet.

---------------------------------------------------------------

@Mosstalgic wrote:

Thanks for the response, I'm aware I can buy my own router, get something better and probably solve the issue that way. However, I figured that I would try and get a solution to the fault on my new VM equipment.. with them rolling so many of there hubs out I wondered if anyone else had experienced the same or similar issues. 

Lots of people have issues and lots of people (majority) use modem mode with their own equipment. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Thanks Stobbsy.

I think you're right, I'm going to have to split the 2.4 and 5ghz. I just didn't want to have the hassle of splitting them really. 

We have things like smart plugs and cameras which tend to use the 2.4 GHz channels so I don't want my controller devices on a separate ssid.. but I don't think I have much choice. It's driving me mad this issue.

Yeah I don't understand Legacy1 at all. I actually work in support myself, have for a long time... It would be great if I could just tell anyone having an issue with their machine or software that the solution is to just buy a better one.

At the end of the day... Virgin Media do support these. How well would any ISP do if they told customers they are happy to take their custom but you'll have to buy your own router.... 90%+ would hang up right away and be lost when it comes to knowing what they need to buy and how to set it up. I'll be honest... A new router is on my list of things I want, I can't afford it right now. The HUB5 was offered to me as part of the service I pay for, I accepted that offer and as far as I'm concerned this issue is worth trying to solve before going nuclear. I haven't contacted VM about it, I came here, where I figured the real "experts" would be for some advice... Or even to find out if anyone else is having similar issues. Cheers.