cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4 or Hub5 for 1gbs?

seanbootes
On our wavelength

So I've taken the plunge and upgraded to 1gig and already have the superhub 5. I was advised that I actually needed a superhub 4 for the 1 gig package...is this correct? It seems very odd...

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The Hub is on trial at the moment. They selected the trialists (i.e. you) with various criteria in mind and one of them was the customers were not currently on 1GB packages. A VM person may be able to explain why - or we can make some guesses.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Customers on Gig1 are currently excluded from the Hub 5 invites at this stage, mainly because Pods don't yet talk to the Hub 5.

However If you already have a Hub 5 you should be able to upgrade to Gig1 without having to go back to a Hub 4, as long as you don't have existing Pods. If you do you can still do it but the Pods would have to be disconnected.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

seanbootes
On our wavelength

I don't have any pods (I assume this is for the WiFi)?

So should be ok with the Hub5 then?

@seanbootes Yes you should be Ok, the issue would be that as a Gig One subscriber, you would be eligible for free wifi pod, which as they don’t work with the Hub 5 could be slightly embarrassing. Also if you happen to have the VM phone service where the phone plugs into the hub, well that doesn’t work either!

Considering the hub5 was made for the 2GB connection I would say it would work with a 1GB connection…

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hi seanbootes,

Thanks for your post and reaching out to us. Just to confirm what everyone else has replied, the Hub5 will work great with the 1GB service. The hub 4 might have been mentioned because the hub 5 hasn't been fully released yet.

Cheers,

Corey C

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@seanbootes Read the forum, and there's a lot of teething problems with the Hub 5.  You might not encounter them, but in your shoes I'd be happily welcoming a Hub 4 and sending the Hub 5 back.  But hopefully you can make an informed choice - do you want to be an early adopter of the Hub 5, working with unproven technology that usually takes a couple of years for most of the flaws to be ironed out?  That can be a valid choice if it works for you.