Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hub4 modem with Netgear orbi problems

Hello

I had been running a HUB3 M350 with Orbi mesh 6 without issues.  I recently accepted the offer of the Hub4 upgrade and shortly after upgraded to 1gig. So not certain whether the problem I now have is related to Hub4 or 1gig, yet I strongly suspect the Hub4 as being the cause.

The main problem I have is that whilst I can initially access my router control panel (both locally on the orbi app and from a PC 192.168.1.1 or externally on orbi anywhere access) , the ability to access is lost after a day.  I then can only regain access by unplugging and restarting the router. 

Might this be related to lease time?  But would not expect the need to change this

I have tried unplugging router and modem, restarting the router, waiting for this to stabilise, connecting the ethernet, then restarting the hub.  This did not solve the problem.  I have reset the hub4.  Again, the same issue.  Interestingly this did not reset the Hub password to default (it retained the password that I had set) - so seems that some settings are retained. 

Lan is connected to port 1 of Hub4

I have stable internet access at 1gig.  I can use all my wifi connected equipment as normal.  The problem is that I cannot control or monitor my orbi.  and tere is another problem below.....

The other issue that I have is that some of my services on amazon and IFTTT are no longer available, although they can be controlled locally. I noticed in the process of upgrading that my IP address has changed - so that could be a potential cause?  I've tried disabling and re-enabling the nanoleaf service in IFTTT yet IFTTT reports an error that service cannot be connected

I believe that this disconnect occurred shortly before I swapped the hubs.  So may be related to changes VM have made to the fibre configuration in order to enable the hub4 to operate (or to maximise benefit from it)

I have started the Hub4 in router mode and then gone through settings (e.g. disabled firewall) in case some of these are retained on going into modem mode.  Then changed back to modem.  But without success.I have set NAT filtering on the orbi to "open" - again, no improvement

When in router mode (hub4 192.168.0.1) I note that the RBR850 is assigned an IP address 192.168.0.147.  Would it help or hinder if I changed that manually to 192.168.1.1 (my orbi router address)?

I have tried a tracert to 8.8.8.8 and the first 2 hops are as follows (so no indication of double NAT - this has been flagged as a potential issue in other messages)

1 4 ms 3 ms 4 ms 192.168.1.1
2 17 ms 15 ms 11 ms 10.53.xx.xxx

9 18 ms 18 ms 17 ms dns.google [8.8.8.8]

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub4 modem with Netgear orbi problems

If you’re using an Orbi system then ideally you should be running the hub in Modem Mode and not Router Mode. Disabling any firewalls etc in router mode then modem mode is a pointless exercise as turning on modem mode disables them anyway.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for fast reply.  As noted

"I have started the Hub4 in router mode and then gone through settings (e.g. disabled firewall) in case some of these are retained on going into modem mode."

but didn't help any.  Tried it just in case.  Sometimes equipment doesn't behave as it should, which is - actually - the whole basis of my post.  Why would there be an issue changing Hub3 to Hub4?....................

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So there’s nothing else plugged into the hub apart from the Orbi?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No - only connection is to router on LAN 1.  Identical set-up as with Hub3

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried factory resetting the Orbi since connecting it to the Hub4?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No - it has a large number of custom settings (port forward, static IP, etc) and don't want to risk affecting those e.g. if fails to read from saved config.

why would a factory reset of orbi help?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

To iron out any potential issues.

If you can fully backup the settings/config from the Orbi then it's worth a try as you can always restore the settings after.

But that's down to you to try.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

errr... ok.  thanks for your help,  yet I'll pass on the factory reset of the orbi; Factory reset is a blunt instrument and unlikely to solve the issue - and could risk creating more problems.  The orbi works well when not connected to a hub and when it was connected to the hub3, so would like to explore other options first

if you have any knowledge or experience in relation to the Hub4 that could be of help I would be be grateful to hear it

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

One point to note you WAN IP will be different from the Hub 3, so that may be causing problems. Also if you are jumping between router and modem mode your gateway will also change. 

0 Kudos