cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4 keeps dropping Android Phone Wifi

MarkiMark
Joining in

Hi All,

Just installed a new Hub4. All seems to be working OK. Wired connections fine. Wifi connections fine on an Iphone and Ipad however a Samsung Android phone keeps losing connection.

On the Hub page : Connected devices : It shows the android connected but often with a really low speed... like 1Mbps
The Iphones and Ipad are up at 24Mbps and working fine. And as I say the Android just keeps dropping off and hanging.

Seems very odd. Anything I can adjust on the phone or on the hub to sort this out?

Cheers

32 REPLIES 32

Spoke to soon I’m afraid…

Xmas morning my daughter unwrapped her new fire tablet and the problems once again started. The tablet connects to the WiFi fine but behaves as if there is no internet. The portal TV has also started having the issue again too. Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting resolves it for some amount of time, but not consistently.

As a last ditch attempt this evening I configured a raspberry pi to act as the DHCP server on the network and turned off the DHCP on the hub 4. This changed nothing, the tablet and the portal tv both exhibited the same issue.

So now I’m shopping online for a new router to put the hub in modem mode as it’s obviously an issue with the hub 4 itself.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Markmagness, 

Thank you for your reply.

I have checked your account all looked fine, looking at your post your replies are pretty sporadic. Is it just the Fire tablet that you are having issues with?

Zoie

No, it also affects my portal TV and the android phones of any visitors.

Hi @markmagness,

Thank you for the update. Are you able to test a wired connection on a device to see if that is also impacted?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Leafy1
Just browsing

I have the same problem with my sons Samsung a5 ... my and partners s20 and daughters s9 are fine.

To the original poster .  Only fix that works for a bit for us is to clean the phone as much as possible, all caches and create as much space as possible using c cleaner or somat. Disconnect from router. Resett the router then reconnect by entering password again into the phone. Took ages to get it connected today! Never does it at his mams who has nowtv Internet... virgin should look into the proem as it obviously happens often.. it seems to be on lesser devices in our house as its never done it on our s20s. Also seems to happen more after he has left and been connected to another network. Hope this helps a bit. 

Try...

long press your wifi icon. Click on settings cog. Mac address type use phone mac. Worked for me.

I tried everything to resolve this. New hub, modem mode, got Amazon to replace the kindle. None of it worked, and the elimination of all these things plus the fact that the devices would briefly work when first connected left only one possibility: it was something the ISP was doing. So as a test I put the device on my VPN and voila! It worked fine.

I’ve since set up a proxy server on my network that I use to connect all the effected devices, and they now work without issue.

There’s no doubt in my mind, it’s Virgin who are blocking traffic from certain android devices. I’m sure it’s not on purpose but it’s happening.

I’m amazed there has been no response from Virgin regarding my last comment

Our apologies that you didn't get a response for that. 

To confirm, has this issue now been resolved?

^Martin

Well… no! If you read my post I am having to use a proxy server to get any internet on these devices and it’s clear virgin media are the culprits