cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4 keeps dropping Android Phone Wifi

MarkiMark
Joining in

Hi All,

Just installed a new Hub4. All seems to be working OK. Wired connections fine. Wifi connections fine on an Iphone and Ipad however a Samsung Android phone keeps losing connection.

On the Hub page : Connected devices : It shows the android connected but often with a really low speed... like 1Mbps
The Iphones and Ipad are up at 24Mbps and working fine. And as I say the Android just keeps dropping off and hanging.

Seems very odd. Anything I can adjust on the phone or on the hub to sort this out?

Cheers

32 REPLIES 32

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Split the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wifi bands. Connect to the 5Ghz band. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean disable 2.4GHz on the hub? Or is there a way to force the android phone to only connect to 5GHz

Would disabling 2.4GHz mean a poorer signal for everyone else?

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Best done with a cable connected device.

Instructions for Hub 3, Hub 4 is similar.

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name [SSID] > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name [SSID] > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub then reboot using this method ...

Switch the Hub off using the small switch on the rear of the Hub next to the power cord and pull the PSU plug from the wall socket.

While the Hub is powered off go around all the accessible co-ax connectors inside and outside to ensure that they are finger tight.

Give it a good 5 minutes put the plug back in and switch the Hub back on.

Allow the Hub a few minutes to fully restart then try your Wi-Fi again.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

When you connect the devices do it at the furthest point from the Hub that the device will be used.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

>>Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

This option is not available on the Hub4

Wireless frequency 2.4 GHz
Wireless frequency 5 GHz

Are both there and both are enabled.

To be clear.. the android device is losing it's wifi connection when I'm sitting right next to the hub.... it's not a distance thing.

The hub just seems to keep kicking it offline.

Check the device has all the updates 

There could be incompatibility in the wireless chipsets/drivers - between hub and device  - an update often helps - such incompatibility often shows as drop outs when close to the hub/irrespective of distance.  The standards are there to minimise such trouble but don’t always achieve compatibility, especially between chipset vendors (Broadcom, Lantiq, Qualcomm etc.)

Otherwise - looking for an update to the hub or another router/WiFi AP.

It’s still worth trying on one band only - if you give them different SSIDs you can ‘force’ the device onto a band by only giving it the details for that one.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

OK thanks I'll give that a try. Android device is fully updated.

Didn't help. Android phone keeps getting disconnected from wifi. Even when it is within a couple of meters of the hub.  Other devices don't. They stay connected. Have resorted to just using 4G data on the android.. which defeats the object of having wifi!

Note: this did not happen on the Hub3 only when I upgraded to the hub4 did this android device become unable to make a stable wifi connection.

Tried to downgrade to the hub3 but it no longer worked. So now stuck with the hub4 and having to use mobile data!

A couple of things you could try  ...

The least aggressive is take a walk down the street and find a VM Hotspot and see if it will connect and stay connected to that.

And the Nuclear option is put the device back to factory settings and try your Wi-Fi again.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.