cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4 White light of death since power cut.

Obibrownkanobi
Tuning in
  • Good morning,

I’m new to Virgin and 4 months in, my hub 4 router seems to be unresponsive since a power cut. It seems since this event, the light on the router is a solid white from the moment it powers on. This is not normal for the boot process as usually it starts with a flashing red and goes to white when the internet is back online. (For some reason, every few weeks my devices will lose Wi-Fi and my modem requires a reboot to fix).

Reading around this is a common problem. The worst part is it’s Friday and VM are unable to send an engineer until Tuesday. 

I’ve also tried a reset and the router simply doesn’t respond. Does anyone at all have any suggestions? I really need the internet back as I work from home. 

of all the routers I’ve had over the years (I’m a network engineer), this has to be the worst and most unreliable one I have ever had. Surely it can’t be bricked after 4 months? 

I have no confidence in this hardware and keen to understand if VM have come out openly and identified this as a common fault with their hardware? I concerned that replacing the hardware with exact same, will mean this event will happen again.

I, and I’m sure most people would agree, 4 days without internet is not a viable service? 

Thank you. 

14 REPLIES 14

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
2 working days for a Tech visit is pretty good for a Residential ( non-Business) package which has no SLA.

But see these re compensation

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

https://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/automati...

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Maybe cheap PSU that a over AC volt happens the 12V DC goes above spec causing damage to the hub.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Obibrownkanobi

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about the issue with your hub.

Please do be sure to keep us updated with how the tech visit goes and we can investigate further from here if needs be.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Obibrownkanobi
Tuning in

Hi all, 
Everything is sorted now. As I had suspected, it was the router which had failed. Great for reliability when it’s only 4 months old. 🤔😤 

Had a good and honest chat with the engineer, come to the conclusion the hun 4 is not fit for purpose for a standard house hold, and have therefore had to pay for a new router and place the hub 4 into modem mode. Fully recommend to anyone with a hub4. Let’s just hope the hub4 I have now doesn’t fail to recover after another power cut. 

thanks for the responses. 

Happened to me. It's a common problem. So it would be nice if there was a better procedure for resolving it than waiting a week for an engineer. We know what the problem is, shipping out a new hub would reduce a lot of inconvenience!

Hey Telemeter, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry you've had to wait a week for a tech visit.

I understand this is frustrating however we do send a tech out as sometimes they may be able to fix this before replacing the hub.

Please do keep us updated on how this goes. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

I am somewhat sympathetic: VM have millions of customers and they don't want to send out new kit to every customer that learns the magic words "I have a solid white light". Being on the receiving end of this does tend to make customers grumpy, however.

I am less stressed since I learned how easy it is to connect a phone to a pfSense box via USB, and how well that works! It's certainly cheaper than a business connection with a SLA... 😉

Anyway I will update with the outcome.

Hi @Telumehtar thanks for your reply. 

I appreciate this is frustrating - please let us know how you get on following the appointment and if you need further support.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Telumehtar
On our wavelength

The appointment went quickly. The engineer agreed in 10s that my modem was bricked and replaced it. He did also make a small tweak to my signal levels in the cabinet while he was there. Everything is working now.

My feedback is that if it is at all possible to just swap out devices by courier when they have failed like this, it would be better. On the up-side, I now have a UPS and a backup 4G modem, so my home office is far more resilient!