cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4 + Switch = troubles! Help.

switchV
On our wavelength

Challenging story for network geeks...

I have a cat6 cable going from hub 4 to netgear xs508m switch. From switch it is going to old Mac Pro, printer, old laptop - all wired.

If I do speed test on Mac Pro I can see drops in connection, bad speed, slow upload. Laptop same problem when going via switch. Both OK via WiFi.

If I take same cable going from hub to switch and connect with  RJ45 Coupler to cable from switch to Mac (basically by passing switch) connection is fast and perfect.

I replaced switch to new one, same thing. 

So cables fine, computer is fine, it is something to do with Hub not playing nice with wired switch. Btw I have WiFi router connected to hub and it is fine.

It used to work perfectly!! Nothing changed. VM status of network mentions some problems but WiFi, other wired connection in my home all perfect download/upload. Can it be because of this?

Any suggestions? Ideas? So sad...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

I would guess VM updated the port link code and because your switch has 100M/1G/2.5G/5G/10G the new code breaks linking to your switch unless VM forward this to the one doing the firmware from testing it may never get fixed.

if you had a managed switch you could of set a port to 1Gb...maybe we will start seeing  switches with 10G ports and one 1G port for uplink compatibility 

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

What happens if you connect the switch to hub and only have one device to the switch? also reboot the hub?

switchV
On our wavelength

thank you for replying.

reboot is not helping.

did unplug all other devices did not help.

also it is not settings...  if I plug into switch two cables - i have a problem, if I take and connect them together (bypass switch) all good. without even restarting...

so frustrating..

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

I'm not sure if when the switch links up with the hub before MAC and IP layer that the hub knows its connected to a switch by netgear MAC...with the MAC and IP layer the hub knows nothing of the switch so one device should work....

or a firmware update has messed up the linking or does not like seeing your switch can go faster? maybe put a 1Gb switch between hub and faster switch.  

switchV
On our wavelength

dear Alessandro!

you are genius!!!

putting 1G between hub and switch solves the problem... amazing... wow

the question what changed? it was working for an year?! does it mean VM change something? what?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

I would guess VM updated the port link code and because your switch has 100M/1G/2.5G/5G/10G the new code breaks linking to your switch unless VM forward this to the one doing the firmware from testing it may never get fixed.

if you had a managed switch you could of set a port to 1Gb...maybe we will start seeing  switches with 10G ports and one 1G port for uplink compatibility 

switchV
On our wavelength

thank you !!!

Thanks for the update, great work and knowledge by the members and glad to hear this has now been resolved.

If you need us again in the future, please don't hesitate to post 🙂

Rob