cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4 Setting a different SSID

travel-buddy
On our wavelength

Over 6 months ago i changed the ssid names on my Hub4 for both 2.4 and 5 gb bands and selected to make them visible and saved the change. This was successful however the 2.4gb band keeps randomly returning to the default name on numerous occasions, which requires a repeated manual reset/save.

What is causing the drop to the default name and Is there a way to lock the ssid name? 

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Hero

There have been statements from VM mods that a shared SSID is imposed on the Hubs if the VM WiFi Pods have been supplied.

Thank you for your response. You refer to if the VM WiFi pods have been supplied. Could you expand upon this please.
Are the pods something to do with extending the signal. I don't have any VM extenders but do have a TP-Link which performs the same job.
Is that a possible cause?
The fall back to the default ssid appears to occur as a result of VM WiFi dropouts or VM maintenance down time. 👍

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The default single SSID and Intelligent wifi is only mandatory when using the VM supplied "Pods".  If you don't have these, then you can use a split SSID and disable the Intelligent wifi.

There are many reports of the Hub's resetting the users choice of SSID. I think there was a work around by toggling the "Smart Optimisation" on and off before making the changes?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi travel-buddy

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

Sorry to hear of the SSID issues. In October we did contact all customers who choose to have one of their networks switched off and had to opt out of this remotely being done by the 7th November. Did you opt out of this?

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thanks John, having checked back through my emails between 09/22 to 11/22, the answer is nope I don't appear to have been asked by VM to "opt out" of remote network switch-offs.

If this the cause of my problem then I most certainly would have opted out as when my ssid reverts back to the default ssid I have to reset the extender and 2 smart speakers. 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us on this.

Just to clarify on this how many times roughly would you say the SSID reverts back to default within a week?

Let us know,

Kain

Thank you Kain,  I would say the ssid for the 2.4gb band defaults back to the VM once every 18 to 28 days, but can be longer, which makes me think its invoked by maintenance work. Whereas the ssid for the 5gb band remains unchanged. Regards. 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @travel-buddy

Thanks for your response

Just to check, have you ever tried a full pinhole reset of the hub and seeing if the SSID's carrying on resetting after this?

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you for your suggestion, It's certainly worth a try. The next time the 2.4gb band ssid defaults back to the VM code I'll change it and reset the hub. Will be in touch.