cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4, Nest Thermostate, Ring Doorbell and Alexia.

seenw
Tuning in

hi all,

Been given a hub4, my Alexia's (three of them), Ring doorbell and chime and my Nest Thermostat are having issue keeping a connection to the wifi. The hub is installed in the same location as the hub3 was. I have done a pin reset, this only fixes the issue for a short while 30 mins tops. I never had these issues with the hub3. Also the hub4 gets very hot.

Any suggestion for things to check? Fed up with having to reset the hub4.

21 REPLIES 21

Yes, I copied my the WiFi name and password, both channels, from the hub3 to the hub4. Let the hub 4 cycle and reset, waited until it had the dim white light, then checked my iot devices. 

And disconnected my hub3 prior to setting up the hub4 

Do other devices work?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Yes, my mobile phone, smart plug, tablet, PC, TV, laptop and WiFi extender all moved over fine without any problems. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Do better and get your own router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I would suggest factory resetting the devices in question then and connecting them from fresh

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

So just an update if any one is looking for how this got sorted. I changed to 2.4Ghz to 802.11b/g/n as this setting is what Google suggested for the Nest Gen3 Thermostat. On the, what seemed like, the 4,00000000000000 reset, telling Virgin Media I want a Hub3 again or I will cancel my contact, another hard reset, the stupid hub4 allowed the Nest Thermostat (the closest item to the router) to connect to is wifi. It also allows the Ring doorbell pro and chime to connected, and the three Alexia's. It has been up for 3 days. The wifi is still not as reliable as the Hub3.

On review of the Hub4, do not get one - keep the Hub3. The Hub4 does not work with the Virgin Media connect app (checked on 25th Oct 2020), so you can only manage the Hub4 using the IP address. On the Hub4 home page you can not rename the device that are not in the top row.

Then take heed of the above advice about using your own (better) router. 

For what it's worth, I found this thread because I experienced connectivity issues with my Nest thermostat dropping offline constantly after I received a Hub 4.  I had a Hub 3 for several years but there's a known bug with it (IP Sec issues that stopped me hosting a VPN server at home for work issues, but that's another story and the Hub 4 resolved that).

The Nest thermostat is the third gen issue and has been in place with no problems on the Hub 3.  I installed the Hub 4 and set the SSID and password identically, everything seamlessly moved across and all seemed happy at first.  I then noticed my thermostat was offline a lot, and downdetector didn't report any issues with Nest.  I reset the thermostat and that didn't rectify it.  I then reset the network settings on the thermostat and tried entering the network again in case there was some sort of footprint being left by the old hub, that didn't solve it.

I tried the tip above of setting 2.4GHz to b/g/n mixed (it was on n as default) - that didn't solve it either.  I have turned off 5GHz WiFi and so far that seems to have worked.  It's been under 24 hours since doing this but each time I've checked the Nest is still online.  The third generation Nest thermostat is the only one of the three generations that has 5GHz, so this solution won't apply to the first two gens but if my workaround is solid, this suggests a 5GHz issue with the Hub 4.  I can't tell if the 5GHz WiFi was problematic as my phone always uses 2.4GHz and I don't have any other 5GHz devices but it still needs rectifying if this is the problem.

I doubt it is a signal issue since the Hub 4 is around two metres away from the Nest control unit, and around 4 metres away from the thermostat itself (there is one thick wall between the two but I get excellent WiFi on 2.4GHz in the same area and indeed much farther away).

I'm posting this as I want to show a potential solution for others who are having Nest thermostat problems who have a Hub 4, and also to highlight to Virgin there are still issues with this hub.  It is a bit concerning as none of the people I know with other major provider's hubs seem to have these sort of issues such as BT and TalkTalk - it's also a bit galling after the news this week about the Virgin Media and O2 merger so we've got one of the biggest telecoms companies in the country and despite the size of this Goliath each generation Hub still seems to have its own problems.

Morning

I know this thread is getting on in age now, however this is something I was suffered from.  The nest 3rd gen thermostat was constantly losing its connection to the hub4. I ended up buying the Eero Pro mesh router kit and its been fine since moving to them with the hub 4 in modem mode.   Previous to trying the hub4 in router mode I  ran an edgerouter 4 and unifi ap ac lites and this was also fine however I had to remove them. The only time I had nest connectivity issues was when the hub4 was used in router mode.