cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4, Nest Thermostate, Ring Doorbell and Alexia.

seenw
Tuning in

hi all,

Been given a hub4, my Alexia's (three of them), Ring doorbell and chime and my Nest Thermostat are having issue keeping a connection to the wifi. The hub is installed in the same location as the hub3 was. I have done a pin reset, this only fixes the issue for a short while 30 mins tops. I never had these issues with the hub3. Also the hub4 gets very hot.

Any suggestion for things to check? Fed up with having to reset the hub4.

21 REPLIES 21

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Common complaint from users with Hub 4 unfortunately.  Best to ask for the return of your Hub 3, or bite the bullet and invest in your own WiFi kit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

The only thing I can think of is to refine your Wi-Fi management, the following instructions are written for the Hub 3, have a look at the Hub 4 settings to see if they are do-able on that.

Best done with a cable connected device.

Instructions for Hub 3

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name [SSID] > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name [SSID] > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub then reboot using this method ...

Switch the Hub off using the small switch on the rear of the Hub next to the power cord and pull the PSU plug from the wall socket.

Give it a good 5 minutes put the plug back in and switch the Hub back on.

Allow the Hub a few minutes to fully restart then try your Wi-Fi again.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

When you connect the devices do it at the furthest point from the Hub that the device will be used.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Thanks for the suggestion, I don't think that the hub4 allows for the different names on the 2 and 5Ghz? 

@seenw wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, I don't think that the hub4 allows for the different names on the 2 and 5Ghz? 

It does

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Tired having different names for the 2.4 & 5G, this didn't make any difference. Still can not get my Nest, Ring to connect though the Hub4. The Alexia's do connect but are not able to stream the radio.

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

It sounds like you need more powerful Wi-Fi, BUT you won't get that from a VM Hub.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

it all worked fine on the Hub3!

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

You have a Hub 4.

Interference can spoil the local Wi-Fi at any time.

Have you changed the WiFi name/s and password/s on the Hub4 to match that of the Hub3?

If not you’ll need to do that or factory reset your devices and connect them to the new WiFi name/s and password/s. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi