cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4 Modem Mode Link Speed Bug

dalgibbard
Tuning in

Hey all,

I've noticed a weird bug with the Hub4 and my x86 firewall PC (i5 PC running Mikrotik RouterOS v7.1).

The PC has a 2 port HP 561FLR-T2 1/10Gbe card, and when connected to the Hub4 in modem mode, I only get 100mbit link speed on the ethernet when connected to port4 of the Virgin Hub.

The ONLY fix I've found, is to connect to port 4, restart the hub4, and once fully connected and IP leased, remove the cable from port 4 on the Hub4, and instead connect it to port 1. Then it's connected with 1gig link speed and works great.

However, if the hub4 is powered up whilst connected on port1, it will not connect (link down). This means I have to manually switch the cables between port 1 and 4 any time I need to reconnect or reset the firewall or hub4 devices (or if there's a power cut etc). It also seems that it must be connected to port 4 when powered on to work from the get-go; so powering it up connected to port 1 requires a hub4 reset before it will work.

Does anyone else have this kind of problem? Is there any way to report this problem to a technical team without having to phone virgin support and go through the tedious level 1 support processes?

Thanks in advance!

Darren.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You may end up putting a 5 port switch between the links for a easy fix or you could try setting the link speed to 1Gb in Mikrotik RouterOS.

It a who is to blame game the hub or the NIC and its likely VM will do anything but maybe a driver fix for the Mikrotik RouterOS could fix it depending on how the hub respondes during the link up with a 10Gb NIC

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Try doing a pinhole reset on the hub. Hold it in for 60 seconds and let the hub fully reset and initiate.

It will be back in router mode again so then put it into modem mode and reboot again after 5 minutes and see how it behaves. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You may end up putting a 5 port switch between the links for a easy fix or you could try setting the link speed to 1Gb in Mikrotik RouterOS.

It a who is to blame game the hub or the NIC and its likely VM will do anything but maybe a driver fix for the Mikrotik RouterOS could fix it depending on how the hub respondes during the link up with a 10Gb NIC

---------------------------------------------------------------

dalgibbard
Tuning in

Thanks for the tips all; I assume that the modem has some issue negotiating speed with at least this particular 10Gbe NIC; probably not expecting a 1/10G port and getting confused (probably not a very common use case or test point!)

Anyway! Added a cheap 1g 5port 'dumb' switch between them and everything auto-negotiates at 1g hooked up to port 4. It's sub-2watts so I don't really mind the extra device.

Thanks for the suggestion @legacy1 🙂

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Negotiation always starts at the highest speed and I expect the VM hub is getting confused. That said I have an 10G SPF+RJ45 module in my Ubiquiti router and that negotiates fine with my VM Hub4 at 1G. I have read that some SPF+ modules do have trouble negotiating lower speeds with certain routers.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2