cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4 2.4GHz problem

potomac
On our wavelength

I have just bought a new printer which only works with 2.4 GHz connections. 

This printer will not connect. 

On investigation I find that everything else that connects to the hub - PC, smartphone, etc. - have all connected at 5 GHz, notwithstanding that the hub is set to handle both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

Do I need a new hub or is there a magic setting that I'm missing?

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@potomac wrote:

I have just bought a new printer which only works with 2.4 GHz connections. 

This printer will not connect. 

On investigation I find that everything else that connects to the hub - PC, smartphone, etc. - have all connected at 5 GHz, notwithstanding that the hub is set to handle both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

Do I need a new hub or is there a magic setting that I'm missing?

Thanks

Try temporarily turning off the 5 GHz wifi connection on your VM hub (be aware though that when you do, all your 5 GHz devices will be temporarily disconnected while it is off).

While the hub is broadcasting on just 2.4 GHz, try connecting the printer. If it connects, turn the 5 GHz back on again and see if the printer connection holds up.

Devices with basic wifi, such as printers, may not like the combined SSID wireless name from the VM hub. Temporarily turning off the 5GHz may allow the printer to connect to the 2.4GHz signal)

MartJ
Rising star

Have you tried splitting the SSIDs in 2.4 & 5ghz, I had a similar problem with smart plugs which only work on 2.4ghz, splitting solved the issue for me. The process can be found in this post

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Definitive-Guide-to-Splitting-2-4-amp-5ghz-...

Martin

potomac
On our wavelength

Thanks for the reply.

I have split the SSIDs. 

In order to eliminate any problem with the printer I have used my smartphone (Pixel 7 Pro) to check what SSIDs it can see.  It can see plenty of neighbouring SSIDs, but not my renamed 2.4GHz SSID.  If the smartphone can't see it, I don't suppose that the printer will either.

Do you think it's starting to look like a Hub fault?

potomac
On our wavelength

You will see that I am currently investigating splitting SSIDs.  None of this should be necessary (not your fault, I hasten to add).  I never had problems with Hub 3 and I don't see why I have to struggle now.  I think I'll have to get VM involved - what fun!

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@potomac wrote:

You will see that I am currently investigating splitting SSIDs.  None of this should be necessary (not your fault, I hasten to add).  I never had problems with Hub 3 and I don't see why I have to struggle now.  I think I'll have to get VM involved - what fun!

Which VM Hub version are you using?

potomac
On our wavelength

The root cause of the issue ...

Quote "but not my renamed 2.4GHz SSID. If the smartphone can't see it"  -   then the Hub4 is not transmitting on 2.4Ghz.

It is either another Hub (3/4/5) defect or another of Virgin Media's WiFi policy decisions.

potomac
On our wavelength

Yes, it's strange.  At one point I renamed the 2.4GHz SSID to something completely different, and all hell broke loose.  I lost both SSIDs, the ring light went supernova, and my wi-fi entered hyperspace.  After a while, the 2.4 GHz fella with the brand-new name became discoverable, but the 5 GHz SSID remained missing.  After much cursing and the use of a LAN cable to access the Hub4, I managed to restore things to the way they were, i.e. 5GHz but no 2.4GHz  What a waste of time!

If you - or anyone reading this - has a Hub4 that has both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz channels running at the same time, I would be very pleased to have a note of the settings you are using.  Meanwhile, I'll leave well alone and connect the printer with a USB cable.

I'm very grateful for your assistance.

If you can connect the printer with a network cable, the iPhones / Android mobiles  and any computers will all be able to find it and use it.