cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4 1GB intermittment WIFI. Connection unstable. Speeds all over the place

AmMin
Dialled in

Upgraded to Hub 4 and 1 GB. Am just over 1m from exchange.

Several issues

Connecting Windows Dell XPS 13 and couple iphones.

I have reset Hub4 multiple times and now bored. Never fixes issue. Seems to run a bit faster afterwards but not proper speed

Samknows says getting 1GB into Hub 4. However for all of last week and more I was unable to run any test on Samknows as it said there was no router ( which is a complete porky pie).

Speed tests on Dell over wifi (whether 2m away or on floor above) are erratic and change significantly in the space of minutes. Flashes of >500MB (rare like unicorns) and most of time mid 200's download (goes from low 200's to 400) and 50ish upload. Today and less than 3m clear line of sight from Hub4 the download was 35.9 and upload froze.

On virtually every zoom/teams/googlemeet call my screen freezes and internet connection claims to be unstable.

My PC is up to date and about a year old and is not a slouch machine

What is going wrong? How do I fix? What makes speed so erratic? I need to be able to do normal VC.

Please do not tell me to hard wire my PC into the hub. I WFH on 1st floor (pretty much above the Hub) and am not able to run a cable from one to the other

24 REPLIES 24

xillius200
On our wavelength

Hi,

Just recently got a Lenovo Legion laptop with similar Wi-Fi card, uninstalling the killer driver and installing the intel pro-set drivers which also support the card might help, solved my issue. Also have a XPS 15 9500 series with same card for work, solved it for that device as well.

Virgin,

On my PC: Uninstalled and fresh install Killer AX1650. Disabled Killer Prioritization Engine.  Disabled entire Killer Control Centre. Set roaming aggressiveness to 5 on my PC. All steps recommended by Dell and Intel.

On my router: reset Hub 4...and again.You are not there?  When are you building a better hub? One that works?

My wifi download speeds range from intermittent 0 Mbps to 12 Mbps to mid 200's to 300's and then back to ...crashing out of zoom meetings. At same time my iphone and non Dell pc consistently show >500Mbps

But then need to be careful when I test things out as the speed to my home is not consistently good and not as advertised. I have photos of SamKnows at 253/594/621Mbps download vs 1000Mbps  service

I have a WiFi Service whose hub does not communicate with my PC (and a PC that does not communicate to my hub) and no-one owning a resolution. Answers from Virgin please? Will you pay if I install a new router and use the hub as a modem?  When are you building a better hub? One that works?  Where are the pods that might help by boosting whatever weak peak and trough signal seems to jump between the 2 devices? 

Hi @AmMin,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear this. Having checked your account, I can see some of your downstream channels are out of spec. Due to this partial service issue identified, you would be experiencing slow speeds and poor performance of the broadband service.

I will send you a PM now to confirm some details and get a technician booked for you. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming the details as requested via PM @AmMin

I have arranged the visit for you and you can find confirmation of the time and date via your online account. If this is unsuitable, feel free to re-schedule. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Hi,

Thanks. 

Can I ask what does "..some of your downstream channels are out of spec.." mean please? Are these issues within Hub 4 or with the FTTH? Will fixing this deliver the consistent FTTH hub speed as shown on SamKnows or on the wifi hub properties (as this can vary showing today in the last few minutes with Link Speeds of 433, c 500, c 650 and around 800ish) or does it do something else?

Is Hub 4 WiFi 6 compatible? If not, what is the recommendation if I have a WiFi 6 driver?

The simple issue is widely varying speeds with the internet dropping out on video conference calls (does not matter if zoom or google) or when having remote technical assistance from my PC OEM. There is no consistency and the fault is intermittent and most noticeable when trying to do stuff from howm using zoom/google it normal life stuff

Can you please help me understand what part of the sequence does fixing the downstream issues solve and what is the proposal for the other parts of the FTTH to Hub/router to pc via wifi. I am unable to run cat 6 cabling from my hub to where I normally use the PC. I have re-set my hub multiple times and this is not a solution.   

Not sure what is happening on speed into the house on Samknows. 

Tried to measure it on few times through PC and iphone. Gives me error message.

And before that used My Broadband speed test....pretty ugly

AmMin_0-1629659639893.png

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help.

Dell will change my motherboard and hard drive and wifi card and antennae (they are all soldered together so the wifi card alone cannot be replaced)

I will still have an Intel WiFi 6 Killer AX 1650.

Virgin are sending 1 pod over to see if that can help. Sadly there seems to be a denial by Virgin that there could be a WiFi 6 compatibility issue or a general WiFi issue as it seems the hubs are one of the weakest parts of their ISP ecosystem.  

I have begun BQM and downloaded my router logs as SamKnows shows issues coming into the hub as well. I am not able to decipher them and looking for the rosetta stone equivalent  

To continue....

The original issue of inconsistent, cutting out, freezing, disconnecting WiFi, web page buffering remains. The issues happened across all devices, from iphones to PC’s. Early results showed the PC with an Intel Killer WiFi 6 driver fared worst but the average and median speed tests over quite a few weeks comparing a PC with WiFi 5 and one with WiFi 6 drivers to be less of an issue than originally thought but is still an issue. Numerous forum discussions show there are compatibility issues between Virgin and the latest WiFi 6 standards and also with Virgin’s WiFi  general capability itself as the routers appear to be one of the weakest links in their service. Virgin did not answer questions on compatibility issues.

I’ve been told the downstream specs were out of sync and next that they are all ok. I’ve reset the hub, multiple times, and this is not a long term fix or a solution. The engineer split the signal into 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and said everything looked ok.

I received a POD and plugged it in with lots of hope and expectation. The WiFi is no better.

Average 282 Mbps to pc with WiFi 6 drivers and only 3 results higher than 500Mbps (61 tests between 5/08 and 12/09). Very similar results on PC with WiFi 5 driver. (54 tests between 30/07 and 12/09)

Average 341 Mbps speed to iphone capable of handling up to 866 Mbps and one quarter of all test results 62 Mbps or less. (33 tests between 19/08 and 12/09)

Here's the BQM:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/da49016b81d55bad0edadde6f67d31db86ce693e

Thank you for the update @AmMin.

Please let me know how the connection is after the changes and if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

Hello Akua,

I do not understand your comment: "Please let me know how the connection is after the changes and if you need any further help."

My last post states nothing has improved. There is nothing that we are waiting for.