Menu
jkumaruk
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hub3 with Asus RT-AC68U

Hi all

Apologies I am new to this and not very technical so please forgive me if this has been discussed before.

I have recently got the 68U and configured it with the Hub3 in modem mode, however one of my devices was hard coded with an IP address (plus the device needed a special adapter to connect a ethernet cable) therefore I changed the Hub3 back to router mode to be able to access the device wirelessly. 

I changed the device to use DHCP, and was about to change the Hub3 back to modem mode but noticed that all the devices connected to Asus were working.  I have now switched off Wifi in Hub3 and keep it in router mode.

I have DHCP enabled for both Hub3 and 68U with hub in a xxx.xxx.0.1/254 range 68U in xxx.xxx.1.1/254 range.  Does this/will this cause any issues?

One thing I noticed I cannot enable DDNS on the 68U inorder to get external access as it say: "The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address. This router may be in the multiple-NAT environment and DDNS service cannot work in this environment."  However I do not need external access to manage the 68U at this point!

Thank you.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub3 with Asus RT-AC68U

I am a bit puzzled why you put the Hub into modem mode to connect a device wirelessly, couldn't you just connect the device to the Asus's wireless?

With the routers daisy chained with two different subnets, devices on the 192.168.0.xxx subnet will not be able to see devices on the 192.168.1.xxx subnet.

You are also double Natting which may cause issues with online games, VPN and port forwarding. otherwise it will be fine

jkumaruk
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks griffin

Sorry my error in explaining the device is Ethernet connected and when connected to the 68U it didn’t work as the IP address was hard coded to 192.168.0.xx and once the Hub3 is in modem mode the range for the 68U is 192.168.1.xxx therefore had to change the hub3 to router to get connected and change the device to dhcp. Once I did that and the device connected to 68U and got an IP address no issues

I am thinking of leaving it on router mode as that gives me additionally ports on the Hub3 to utilise as I am not much of a gamer. However I do use port forwarding and at the moment it seems to be working. 

I am looking to purchase a Synology NAS which I will need to connect to externally, so am I correct in assuming at that point the double natting will be an issue? Unless I connect it directly into a Hub3 port - but then devices connected to the 68U will not be able to see the nas.  Is my understanding correct?

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You will be able to connect the NAS to either subnet providing the port forwarding is set correctly. but devices on the other subnet will not be able to see the Synology over the local network.

Personally. I would try and eliminate the Double NAT to simplify matters, and put everything on the same subnet.

You can either put the Hub into Modem Mode and use the Asus as the main router adding an unmanaged Gigabit switch to increase the number of LAN ports

or, Connect the Asus to the Hub LAN to LAN, giving the Asus a static IP on the 192.168.0.xxx subnet and putting the Asus into Access Point mode or disabling the DHCP server so it will act as a Wireless Access Point \ Switch.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Not sure if this is a good idea, but here goes.

Leave your hub in router mode with WiFi turned off, this will enable your device to keep working on 192.168.0.xx

Connect the 68U to the hub LAN to WAN, so the cable is in the 68U's WAN port, the 68U's DHCP is enabled and its IP address is 192.168.x.yy (where x is not 0). As you will now have two LAN IP segments, devices on one network will not be able to communicate with the other network.

You can subsequently connect the Synology to the 68U's network. The Synology will need a fixed IP address, I have set mine within the DHCP range of my router. I also port forwarded TCP ports 5000 (for http) and 5001 (for https). So, I have the option to access my Synology externally like this:

http://<my external IP address>:5000

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos