Menu
Alanm3
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hub3 streaming to Apple Airport Express

I've used 3 Airport Express for years working perfectly with a BT hub but since the change to Virgin Hub3 I cant get a clean constant signal, it breaks up constantly.

Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub3 streaming to Apple Airport Express

It might be because the wifi signal reaching the expresses is poor from the outset - the Hub3 wifi can be generously described as "pants".  Have you tried to make it easier for the expresses by in the Hub settings switching off "enable channel optimisation" and renaming the 2.4 & 5 GHz networks so they "know" which network to extend.  If you havent done that, they will be "confused" as they both have the same ssid's and will be "flipping" between networks.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Also, if your nearest one is a way away, you might need to move it closer to the hub to get a good signal.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My airport express is fed by Ethernet via a Powerline adapter.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Alanm3
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, how do I access the hub settings on Hub3
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

browse to 192.168.0.1

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Alanm3
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK I got on the hub3 settings thanks.

Now i have switched off enable channel optimisation but i dont know what you mean by "renaming the 2.4 & 5 GHz networks so they "know" which network to extend", can you explain please?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Alanm3 wrote:

OK I got on the hub3 settings thanks.

Now i have switched off enable channel optimisation but i dont know what you mean by "renaming the 2.4 & 5 GHz networks so they "know" which network to extend", can you explain please?

Here is my cut and paste on what to do.....

Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1 (or 192.168.100.1) in your browser

• Login with the default login info (it’s on the sticker on the base/side of Hub) unless you've already updated it !
  • Once logged in, go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
  • Under “Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz” - change the wifi Network Name (SSID) in the box to summat you like...   xxxxx2G - and also the wifi password (network key) to one you like and will remember!
  • Repeat this procedure for the “Wireless Frequency 5GHz” (call it xxxxx5G to distinguish it) use  the same password to keep it simple.
  • click on.. APPLY CHANGES, Log out and reboot the Hub3

Now all your devices should “see” the 2 individual renamed networks in your list of available networks  and so you can connect each one to just the one of your choice.  The 5GHz one is usually best and more stable and subject to less interference.  Its range may be less than the 2.4 one though - but which some devices can only use.

Then in Airport Utility set the network you want in each express's settings

--------------------