cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub3 poor Ethernet speeds

eblok
Tuning in

Hi.

Just received my  Hub 3 and have everything set up. The WiFi is proving speeds in excess of 100Mbps, however any devices connected via ethernet are at best getting 10Mbps, often lower. 

I've used multiple cables, reset the Hub, tried the Hub in router and modem modes, multiple different devices etc, but nothing helps. I have no choice but to use Ethernet as my house layout requires a mesh network, so at the moment I'm pretty disappointed.

I've been with Virgin in the past (1 yr ago) with all the same hardware getting great speeds so know it's not my mesh network causing issues, and the utilities for that product allow me to directly test the speeds coming from the router.

Any ideas or do I need a new Hub 3?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Are you connecting direct to the hub?

You mention a mesh network - what system do you have?

And are you running the hub in modem mode?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hi 

Yes, connected directly to the Hub. I've tried in modern and router modes, though I'm not sure this should make a difference to the Ethernet port speeds.

I have a TP-link Deco P9 system so it's more than capable of the speed. On my last Virgin contract everything worked fine and the system was running up to 200Mbps.

Thanks!

Post the Network, Upstream and Downstream logs from the hubs admin pages back here as text 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @eblok,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.
I'm sorry to hear of the issues that you've had recently, how are things looking at the moment?

I have checked our system and cannot see any problems that would be causing these issues.

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi,

Thanks for looking into it from your end too, however it's still no better. Wi-fi connected devices getting over 100Mbps, anything connected via Ethernet is around 7Mbps.

I'll sort the upstream and downstream logs when I can find time.

If this is a hardware issue with the supplied Hub I'm spending time and effort to troubleshoot something that shouldn't be my concern.

Thanks,

Stuart

Hi @eblok,

I do apologise. If the issues are ongoing then do please post the logs that you're getting when you have a moment.

You can also set up and share with us a live BQM so we can look at your connection in real time.

Keep us posted.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

All,

Thanks for the help and tips. Sorry for slow responses my end.

I think I've found the problem, or at least a solution. Seems I can get all the speed to my Deco mesh network over Ethernet if I leave the Hub 3 in router mode and set the Deco simply as an access point.

Any other combination of settings, eg, Hub as a modem and Deco in router mode caused the speeds to be limited.

I never had this issue with my previous Hub 3. I put that in modem mode and left the Deco in its default configuration.

Hopefully that helps someone in future!

Thanks!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Any clues in this thread?

DECO unit QoS defaults to 100 - see message 2 in….

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Upgraded-from-100-to-200-with-no-difference/td-p/4931648

If not try setting it up again as below see if that sorts it.

Switch on and set up your own router/Mesh unit (in its settings) with the WAN port set to be in Automatic IP i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and switch it off and unplug it.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.