cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub3 disconnects Apple devices for internet.

DaiBee
Tuning in

I have a Hub3 and 200mb fibre connection. I have 16 devices connected to it including iPhones, MacBooks, Alexa’s and TV’s.

For some annoying reason, the Hub3 keeps dropping the internet connection on the Apple devices. One minute my IPhone will have internet, the next minute it won’t.

It still shows as having a wireless connection to the Hub3, but doesn’t get any websites etc.

Anyone else having the same problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Do a network reset on the Apple devices in question 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is it just Apple devices losing connection on wifi - do other makes of device drop at the same time?

Also is this related to the distance from the Hub? That is do they stay connected when in the same room as the Hub and just drop when you are further away?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi DaiBee, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having an issue with the connection on your Apple Devices. 

Just so we can help you further on this, as per jbrennand, can you please confirm if this is only happening on the Apple devices or is this happening on all devices at the same time? Do the lights change on the Hub when you notice the disconnects? 

Checking the account, all looks fine from this end so pop back and let us know the answers to the questions so we can help you further 🙂 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Yes this appears to only happen to Apple devices. I have Alexa’s around the house and they all stay connected. 

The signal strength on my phones suggest full strength when in rooms where the connection drops, but I do think it’s worse when further away from the Hub.

I used to have a Netgear Nighthawk plugged into the Hub (using modem mode) and this worked fine with Apple devices, but it would drop the connection and then everything would loose connection until I restarted the router.

I tried this on one iPhone but it hasn’t resolved the problem. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Have you tried disabling the “smart” Wifi on the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I also think the “smart” WiFi on the hub may be the cause. I think as you get some distance from the hub the Apple devices try to switch from the 5 GHz band to the 2.4 GHz and the “smart” WiFi is causing a problem.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for confirming this @DaiBee.

I am sorry that this is not working for you, everything does seem to be fine on this end with your equipment.

Have you tried getting in contact with apple to find out why you are unable to use your home internet on your apple devices?

Look forward to your response.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide