cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub3 & Google Nest Wifi Issues

chrisforlano
Joining in

Hello,

My Google Nest Wifi Router crashes every few days as it is loosing its IP address to my Hub 3 (Modem Mode).  I've completely replaced my Google Router with a new unit and the problem returned within a week.  This leads me to believe that there is an issue with the Virgin Media Hub.

I've attached the output of my tabs as a reference for diagnosis.

This has been going on for months so I'm losing patience.

Thanks

Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 6.59.25 pm.pngScreenshot 2021-07-05 at 7.00.04 pm.pngScreenshot 2021-07-05 at 7.00.12 pm.pngScreenshot 2021-07-05 at 7.00.23 pm.pngScreenshot 2021-07-05 at 7.00.32 pm.pngScreenshot 2021-07-05 at 7.01.16 pm.png

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If you have had 2 VM Hubs and the problems remain, i would suggest that the issue lays somewhere in the Google Nest settings. Lots of complaints on Amazon for this "router" - Double NAT for example.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Ok your hub stats are appearing now. The RS error counts may be an issue or just historical accumulation. One of the up channels has dropped qam too.

So can you do this

Switch the Hub off and unplug it for a few minutes and then start up. When done, check back in the settings and ensure that the RS error counts have all reset to 0. Then check every hour or two to see if they start reappearing - they shouldn't. If they do (particularly the postRS ones) you have a problem (noise) that only a Tech visit will sort. Also, see if the qams are now all 64.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

To prove its the hub or VM network you need to connect a PC to the hub in modem mode to see how stable that is.

Then to test the Google Router and see whats going on for its WAN you need a switch VLAN two ports between the hub and router and then mirror the port to a USB to Ethernet with Wireshark running this filter:
port 67 or port 68 or arp

or try another router make

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks.

I did the Hub 3 reset and it reset all postRS values to 0, so I'll wait to see long it takes them to degrade.

An interesting note, all the channels are at 64 qam except the first one, which is 32 qam.  What does that indicate? Tab 1.pngTab 2.1.pngTab 2.2.pngTab 3.pngTab 4.png indicate?

Let's see what happens.

Chris

Ok.

It's been 48 hours since I've rebooted the Hub 3 and I can see the degraded performance already on Channel 1:
- Upstream modulation dropped from 64 qam to 32 qam
- Downstream PostRS errors in 10's of thousands
- Two Sync Timing / MDD Lost incidents in the logs

Suspect I need an Engineer out to tune it as I can't be restarting my Hub every few days.

Thoughts?

Tab 1.pngTab 2.1.pngTab 2.2.pngTab 3.pngTab 4.pngTab 5.1.pngTab 5.2.pngTab 5.3.png

There seem to be a lot of PostRS Errors building - Could be indicative of noise ingress as power levels seem to be fine!

I'd say an engineer is needed!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi chrisforlano,

Thanks for getting in touch, and a very warm welcome to the Community Forum. I'm sorry that you're having some problems with your broadband connection.

I'd be happy to look into this further for you. I'll just need to confirm a few details via Private Message. Please look out for a purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

Yup,

Thats noise ingress.

Your upstream is still the wrong modulation because of the noise.

You should have no post rs errors on a connecting thats working well.

It could be as simple as the coax cable snapping or a corroded splitter/connector somewhere along the line.

Either way you need an engineer to investigate and find the source.

Laurie,

It's been nearly a month since the engineering came by to try to improve the noise on my line, but it does not seem to have improved the situation.  I am still getting Tens of Thousands of PostRS Errors and T3 time outs (see Tab 2.1.pngTab 2.2.pngTab 3.pngTab 5.pngattached).

Can we get an engineer to take another look or arrange for a more modern router?

Thanks,

Chris