cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub3 + Intelligent Pods but laptop keeps dropping :(

Jonidee
On our wavelength

Hi all,

I have tried relentlessly to solve this issue and am constantly failing. I have a brand new Hub3 and 3 intelligent Pod boosters in the rooms that are far from it (1200 sqft flat).

When i am the furthest from the hub (but in a room that has a booster) my laptop keeps dropping. I've noticed this also happens with the Eufy hub which is also in my bedroom (far from the router).
The connection restores itself in around 1-2 minutes which is eternity when streaming.

Initialy have thought this was due to many devices connected, but experiencing the issues now with only 3-4 devices on the network. I have tried disabling the channel optimization in the wifi admin of the router, but switched it back on as was afraid it will compromise the other devices is the room. I also tried forcing my laptop (Lenovo Yoga 3000) to choose the 2.4 GHz as a default.

I read somewhere that a possible solution is to switch to a 2 tier network (i.e. 2.4 and 5 GHz) but not sure I want to go there. Also, someone suggested to allocated static IPs to the different devices but I don't see how to do this in the hub3 admin portal.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Jon

12 REPLIES 12

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Jonidee,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I'm sorry to hear of your WiFi connection issues, I have looked further into this and cannot see anything on our system or in your local area that would be causing these issues.

Do you have any problems with wired connections to your hub?

Have all of your pods successfully connected to your hub?

Regards,

Steven_L

Jonidee
On our wavelength

Hi @Steven_L

no, no issues when connecting with a wire to the hub, the connection only drops wirelessly

thanks

jon 

Jonidee
On our wavelength

Regarding the Pods they seem to be working fine most time, although I see them dropping occasionally too (blinking light)

Hi @Jonidee, thanks for getting back to us and answering my colleague's question.

Can you also confirm that when you have the hub only and use your devices wirelessly in close proximity to the hub, whether or not the signal is still dropping?  If you have not tried this, would you be able to do so at a time convenient to you?  Also, in regards to your laptop, is this a personal laptop or a work issued laptop?

Regards

Lee

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jonidee wrote:

Regarding the Pods they seem to be working fine most time, although I see them dropping occasionally too (blinking light)

If the Pods are too far away from each other or the Hub, they will drop the wifi.  These are not like powerline adapters, but they communicate over wifi.  So, if they can't talk to each other, they will not work. It's a common misconception to put the Pods in a black spot, but they need to be halfway between a black spot  and the Hub.  If that is too far a distance, then another Pod is required to relay the wifi. 

Also wifi optimisation and a single SSID is needed for the Pods to function correctly.  A full 60 second pinhole reset as below, will restore a Hub back to this setting,

Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Jonidee, 

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community!

Could I also ask how many Pods you currently have?

Thanks,

Kain

Jonidee
On our wavelength

Hi @Lee_R

Thanks for replying. It only happens in the rooms that are far from the hub, which rely on the Pods.

It happens on my Laptop (personal, Lenovo Yoga 700) more often than it does on my wife's Macbook, though it happens to all the devices in this room.

As to what was asked below you: there are three Pods in the house, one is halfway between the Hub and my room, one in my room and a third in basement.

Thanks all for your help, please let me know if there's some wifi protocol to change. I did notice that when I defined my laptop to use 2.4GHZ instead of 5GHZ, the connection drops less frequently (but still drops).

Jonidee
On our wavelength

Hi Kain, three Pods/ one halfway between the master bedroom (where issues occur) and the hub, one in the master bedroom, and one in the basement. Thanks!

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jonidee wrote:

<snip>   Thanks all for your help, please let me know if there's some wifi protocol to change. I did notice that when I defined my laptop to use 2.4GHZ instead of 5GHZ, the connection drops less frequently (but still drops).

Sounds like the wifi is not getting to all areas of your house.  That's why the 2.4Ghz works better, as it's a slower band but has more penetration and range.  Whereas the 5Ghz is faster, but has less penetration and range.

You could do a wifi survey using one of the many apps in the Play Store, or InSSIDer on a laptop.  It will show the strength of the signal throughout the house.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks