cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub3: Does wired connection throttle Wifi throughput?

nealser
Tuning in

I have checked the speed on my new Hub3 install and I'm getting >400Mbps download.  Streaming Netflix HD over Wi-Fi to TV with no problem. 

As soon as I add a PC (which has a Ethernet cable) to Hub3, and start some downloads, the wifi to TV has slowed to almost nothing.

I've read that VM is not throttling bandwidth so why the slowdown?

Thanks for any tips!

6 REPLIES 6

nealser
Tuning in
I'm syncing an Ethereum node on the PC, so it's P2P traffic.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You only ha-be a[ certain amount of bandwidth. It’s like a water pipe, if you turn on all your taps in a house the pressure drops, you share it equally in this case.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks Tudor for your response,  but I think 500Mbps bandwidth shouldn't slow down with 3 devices using it.  

Hi nealser, thanks for coming back to the thread. Sorry to hear of the WiFi slowing down. I've had your other thread closed so please don't make multiple threads for the same issue 🙂

The TV, is it near the router? If so, can it be connected via Ethernet cable?

best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

I'll try a cable thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@nealser wrote:

As soon as I add a PC (which has a Ethernet cable) to Hub3, and start some downloads, the wifi to TV has slowed to almost nothing.

The greater number of connections to a download the less your TV can get plus high latency and bufferbloat.

My zyxel VPN300 doing BWM default priority 7 have setup for video to Guaranteed 71680Kb at priority 7 can run 4k 60fps from youtube when P2P and steam downloading fine on 100M doing such a thing without BWM that would not be possible.

---------------------------------------------------------------