Menu
jbrennand
Wise owl
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub reset itself to defaults. 8 digit password on underside does not work!!!

OK Good luck - it should appear where horseman showed in his post.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes, Superhub2 with VIVID 200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub reset itself to defaults. 8 digit password on underside does not work!!!

@sweevouk wrote:

Hi,

I have logged into the hub many times prior to this mysterious reset. I changed the wifi password and checked for connected devices etc. The hub is only 2 months old as I moved house.

I'll try another reset when I get home.

I'm certainly not denigrating JB's suggestion (of 2nd FR) but I would suggest that you allow at least 1 hr (after that FR) before then (if Admin GUI access still fails) initiating a 3rd FR and this time use a POR with at least a 30min (Power Off) quiescent outage! 

Remember you should ALSO ideally "purge your (internet) cache" (I tend to use "Cocktail" app rather than stress my Alzheimers riddled synapses with CmdLine "Terminal" interactives).... 

Thus, because we can't independently ascertain your CableSegment without L2's access to CMTS/IPDR TrafficLight/SQL databases then we're pretty much "urinating in the wind" until we get an authoritative response:  @ForumTeam / @ModTeam hint ......  for 3-5 days time . perhaps... pretty please....Merry Xmas...?  Oh well at least I tried....!  Smiley Tongue

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
sweevouk
Tuning in
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

The regular firmware reset didn't make any difference, still go the exact same problem with the 8 digit password/pin. The default wifi password works fine, like before.

The hub was turned off overnight so I don't think that'll make any difference but i'll do an FR followed by a POR >30 mins later for what it's worth.

I've tried FireFox, Safari and Chrome and they all show the exact same thing. The browser devtools show a GET request sent to the router, eg:

http://192.168.0.1/login?arg=YWRtaW46NzgzMjA4MTk=&_n=47029&_=1544114952567

And the browser gets an empty 200 response back

Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@sweevouk wrote:

.....The hub was turned off overnight so I don't think that'll make any difference but i'll do an FR followed by a POR >30 mins later for what it's worth..... 

FWIW I agree with your premise and not surprisingly  we reach "the law of diminishing returns/effort... "    - while I might (and have done in the past) pursued a more protracted diagnostic course in most cases it has not always produced any significant productive outcome.

Whilst many (possibly even including yourself?) will "argue" that VM Residential Service is "expensive" (yet conversely, after 20yrs of Dial in/IBM.NET/AT&T/ISDN/ Leasing ).  I will argue the converse that "it is still far too cheap" - yet this is still debatably irrelevant in this context/scenario !?

Frustratingly  we all probably  have to await the more authoritative response from VM/ForumTeam....

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
sweevouk
Tuning in
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Decided to use devtools to watch the JS run through. I can see where the supplied password/pin is encrypted before being submitted in the request to the hub. The response back from the hub is null. The code in the handleLogin function calls the isLoggedIn function which returns false, the code then ends up at this sections which I think is self explanatory !

{
            ag.getFormatter(id).errMsg = xlate("errMsg_InvalidPassword");
            showErrorTips(id, true);
}

Never thought i'd see the day where I was debugging Javascript served from a Virgin Media router !

As far as i'm concerned this router is broken. I've checked the 8 digit pin on the underside of the hub half a dozen times to make sure i'm not blind and have written down the wrong PIN now.

sweevouk
Tuning in
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. It's on Virgin Media now I guess.

0 Kudos
sweevouk
Tuning in
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Still waiting for a response from Virgin Media Smiley Sad

0 Kudos