cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub regularly losing connection, keeps resetting

Colinrywi
On our wavelength

I have a hub 3.0 in modem mode, works perfectly fine for weeks on end then in the last week has disconnected at various times of the day, usually for approx 10 minutes however Sunday, Wednesday & yesterday it went off at about 8pm for approx 45 minutes, usually i'd toe the party line and reboot  modem reseat the cables ect ect. however as this never actually resolves anything, (because there is nothing wrong with my equipment). I've let the hub reconnect on its own which it always does, I'm tired of trying to get anything out of Virgin to admit they are just taking it down, this is is fibre cable, it doesn't get noise on the line so if the line disconnects, Virgin are either doing something or the line is faulty an Virgin need to come out and replace it. I've got several interviews next week, and last thing I need is for Virgin to keep taking the line down. 

50 REPLIES 50

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Colinrywi

Thanks for posting. 

I am very sorry to hear of the broadband issues.

From running a system check, it shows the hub offline? Is this the case currently? If not, are there any lights showing?

Can you also pop it into router mode so we can run some further tests. 

PS - good luck for the interviews next week, I'm sure you'll do grand 🙂

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Colinrywi
On our wavelength

Hi John

The line has been up & down all evening, its not the hub, its the line going into it and beyond. when its up its great over 600mb ,which makes me think its either a faulty line between V1 and my house, or an oversubscribed line, because as its Cable you don't get noisy lines, its either up or down, no in between. Virgin should be able to tell from your end if there is contention, a signal fault or anything else that may cause the line to disconnect for no reason. if not then send out an engineer to replace the Hub and all the cabling and to confirm there is a perfect signal coming into the router. it makes no sense for the connection to be up for weeks, only to then start capping out for days on end and for Virgin to continually get us to reset the router /re seat the cables, when there is nothing wrong with the equipment at my end. 

Here we are Sunday morning and it’s gone down twice already, hub has been reset twice yesterday and today, we need an engineer to come out and fit a new cable just for the broadband, please arrange it 

So much for the forum team dealing with this, it’s all just crap, no one is looking at this at all, internet has just gone down twice in a row after being up most of the day, please get us an engineer to recable the hub, this is just not on 

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Colinrywi.

I am sorry for the issues that you have been having with your Hub recently.

I was able to locate your account using your forums details, I can not see any issues with your equipment. Your upstream and downstream is not showing any errors, no area outage affecting your area.

Have you tried doing a pinhole reset? If not please can you try doing this for me, then let me know how it goes from there?

Look forward to your response.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Can you post your Hub status and logs?
Someone should be spot if there is a problem
Navigate to http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode)
Don't log in!
Click on 'router status'
Copy/paste the data from each of the tabs. The forum software will remove the MAC addresses for you (you may need to click the 'post' button again).

Also, set up a 'Broadband Quality Monitor'. This will monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts etc - You can do this at ThinkBroadband (https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality)
Give it a while to gather data and then click 'Share Live graph' and paste the 'Direct Link' into the forum!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

I’ve done 3 pinhole resets, took 30 mins for the hub to reconnect afterwards last night, also in response to you next post, why would you see any issues if it is up, have already stated, that’s when it is up the connection is fine, it’s the fact it goes down and loses connection several times a day, the signal is dropping completely out on the line. As stated we need an engineer to re cable the line between the outside and the hub, there shod be no reason the hub is disconnecting unless Virgin is taking the line down, however there is an issue and i’m sick of dealing with it

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Colinrywi.

Thank you for coming back to me.

Please can you set up a BMQ chart to monitor the next 24hours of service? This would show us the dropouts you are mentioning. 

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

I’ll set this up tonight when am home, why Virgin cannot see all the logs and see the dropouts is beyond me, considering the hub has disconnected over 10 times this weekend alone, let’s just throw it back at the customer shall we?