cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub red light and getting hot

Jeni
Superfast

We have had a red light on our Hub 3 for a couple of weeks but no problems with internet access or speed.  I see from other posts that others have had the same problem and we have tried the suggested solutions.  Now the hub is getting hot - we have tried turning it off but we get the red light and it starts getting hot again when we put it back on.

I think we may need a new hub - can anyone pass on the message for us please.  I know I should try phoning but I am sure they will say they can't see any problem as we have full internet access. I am getting a bit paranoid about leaving this hub on but internet is the only way we can keep in contact with family overseas.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lotharmat
Community elder

Hub needs replacing as it is a health and safety issue!

As you say it is hot - I would not leave it plugged in overnight or if you go out!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

lotharmat
Community elder

Hub needs replacing as it is a health and safety issue!

As you say it is hot - I would not leave it plugged in overnight or if you go out!

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Jeni

Thanks for your post 🙂 

I'm sorry to hear you're having some issues with your Hub getting too hot, I appreciate this is frustrating and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

To confirm, is the Hub out in the open with nothing covering the vents? It should also be left upright and out of direct sunlight. 

I'm going to send you a PM so we can run some diagnostics from our end. 

Please look our for a notification in the purple envelope located in the top right hand corner of your screen. 

Thanks,

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thanks - that's what I thought.  Can anyone pass this message on for me.  I have tried to repost this but am going round in circles!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Look for the Private Message in your "purple envelope" at top right of the forum board

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John - I have seenthat and replied.  Just waiting for tests to be done.

lotharmat
Community elder

Regardless of the tests - even a false positive means a broken sensor = a broken hub that needs replacing!

I'm not that technical but if VM say they want to do some tests then they can do the tests and hopefully then solve this, presumably by sendingme a new Hub.

🙂

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for sending that over @Jeni, that's DPA all passed 🙂 

I've booked a technician in for you to come take a look at the Hub and replace if required. 

You'll be able to view the time/date of the appointment via My Virgin Media, you can also amend this here if the scheduled time/date doesn't work for you. 

Please keep us updated on how the appointment goes.

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thanks for all your help Sofia and I will update when the Technician has been.