Menu
Tudor
Hero
Message 11 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub rebooting

Hubs very very rarely reboot, they lose their connection to the VM network and try to re-establish it. This ‘service break’ can be caused by many things, prime candidate is noise ingress on the circuit. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
ACCB
Tuning in
Message 12 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Fascinating, but not very helpful.

Symptoms:

• Services all stop (inc phone)
  • Light on Hub cycles through flashing white... green... white
  • Indicators for wifi, broadband and phone light up

So 'reboot' may be an incorrect term but the effect to me is the same. - and that is not a good effect.

0 Kudos
ACCB
Tuning in
Message 13 of 15
Flag for a moderator

As I write this, I'm waiting to speak to someone about the latest dropout, which happened at 1pm today.

I've been I waiting for... 15  minutes and 5 seconds for an agent.

This is a very poor standard of service.

Can someone from VM reply here, please?

Update - I got to speak to someone who put me on to a tech support guy who very nicely told me it was working now (I knew that) and very politely hung up 

I'm afraid if this is the level of service we can expect, it isn't good enough.

Can someone from VM respond, please; I want to raise a formal complaint.

Thanks,

AB

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 14 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I am not from VM but will have to do for the time being.

First job, set up a free “BQM” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of all your network disconnections, useful data to have in discussions with VM.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

Just do a quick check that all of your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing. Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

If that’s all good.... Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon at top right (SH2’s) or the text at bottom-middle of first page up (Hub3) and then copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the downstream, upstream, & network logs pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you.

Also, as well as the “check service,” weblink at the top of this forum board, there is also a Service Status number 0800 561 0061 which usually tells you of local issues, down to postcode level (that might even not yet be listed on the Service Status web page) that may give you more info. If nothing shows there call it in and see what they say when they test your connection and if possible get a fault reference number for any known fault.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 15 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hello ACCB,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums!

Sorry this post hasn't been answered sooner, and that you've been having issues with your broadband service, especially so very early in your time with Virgin Media

Have you managed to get this resolved or is it still on going? Drop us a response and either I, or one of my colleagues will be happy to pick it up for you.

We will also be able to raise a complaint for you if this has not yet been achieved.

Kindest regards, David_Bn

0 Kudos