cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub on mains timer?

tonyw2
On our wavelength

Due to ongoing problems detailed on another thread I'm considering plugging my hub into a mains timer to turn it off for 15 minutes every day to reboot the hub and clear any errors while I'm away for a few months and unable to reboot if necessary. Would this cause any problems?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No it will not cause any problems.  There are users on here who do this every evening to save money.

You "may" miss an overnight firmware update but it will catch up at a later date.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No it will not cause any problems.  There are users on here who do this every evening to save money.

You "may" miss an overnight firmware update but it will catch up at a later date.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

tonyw2
On our wavelength

Thanks, I'll do that for peace of mind then, so I won't have to fly home to reboot the hub if it collects enough T3 timeouts to lock itself out.

If away for a few months I'd unplug the thing. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have a landline phone, these are being converted to use the hub, so you should not turn if off.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Then I wouldn't be able to check my security cameras.

tonyw2
On our wavelength

No landline phone, mobile only.