cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub hot with red light in modem mode

Jo_Lo
Joining in

Hi

I am using my hub3 in modem mode and I have noticed that it is very warm & the light is red (definitely not magenta). 

Internet is working well with no interruption to service but I am worried about the hub being a fire risk. 

How do I go about getting a replacement? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Jo_Lo,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear that you're currently experiencing issues with our SH3.

We can certainly understand your concerns, especially with the red light appearing on the LED display.

Before we can replace your super hub, we would ask you try some basic diagnostics first.

• Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub. 

• Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location, and if at all possible, out of direct sunlight. 

• Then use the power switch to turn the unit back on. The Hub should now operate normally.  
If after following the above steps the router doesn't boot back up after a few minutes, or the red light returns when it does, then the router will need replacing. 

Please can you try the above first and come back to me? We can then assist you further.

Kind regards Jodi. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

g0akc
Problem sorter

The light on our hub 3 looks red as opposed to magenta when in modem mode - there are various threads on here about that.

Our hub is warm to the touch but not overly so.  Is your hub in a well ventilated position away from other equipment/sources of heat?

In view of the safety concern/risk I would call VM and/or await a response from a forum rep on here.  

Maybe switch it off in the meantime.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Jo_Lo,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear that you're currently experiencing issues with our SH3.

We can certainly understand your concerns, especially with the red light appearing on the LED display.

Before we can replace your super hub, we would ask you try some basic diagnostics first.

• Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub. 

• Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location, and if at all possible, out of direct sunlight. 

• Then use the power switch to turn the unit back on. The Hub should now operate normally.  
If after following the above steps the router doesn't boot back up after a few minutes, or the red light returns when it does, then the router will need replacing. 

Please can you try the above first and come back to me? We can then assist you further.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Hi Jodi

Thanks for your reply. 

I left the hub switched off last night, when I turned it on the this morning the light started white and then turned red after just a few minutes. 

The hub is always upright, in a well ventilated area and away from sunlight.

Kind regards 

Hi Jo_Lo, 

Thanks for confirming this for us. 

As the hub light is still red, we will need to arrange for an engineer to visit to swap out the hub. I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Jo_Lo, 

Thanks for coming back to via private message to confirm your information. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once logged in, scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you another message to pass data protection and then confirm the appointment details.

Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. If you do miss the appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment so it is important to reschedule if needed. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs