Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub Failing - Virgin saying too many users on Hub

Viirgin_Vexed
Tuning in

HUB - Superhub2ac

Bandwidth - 200 Mb

I have had the hub for years and has been fine for years but for the last month it has been dropping out and I have had to reboot it to get it working.
Tonight, it dropped out again and the hub looks like it is on its last legs, ie it rattles and the lights on the front are hardly visible.
I rebooted, and it kept going up and down.
I called Virgin who told me that it was nothing to do with the hub which they could see was working fine and I had too many devices on it.
I have 3 phones, a PC and a PS4, so I have no idea what they are talking about.
Is there any validity to what they are saying or are they just trying to "Upgrade" me as the tried to do on the phone?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

23 REPLIES 23

sophist
Trouble shooter

@Viirgin_Vexed wrote:

Is there any validity to what they are saying or are they just trying to "Upgrade" me as the tried to do on the phone?

Probably the latter. you have a (relatively) small number of devices. Whilst i don't use the hub for wireless or gateway services, i have teh same 200mb service and it is more than enough for a busy family of five, with somewhere in the region of ~35 wireless devices and a bunch more wired, and no-one ever moans about teh speed of hte internet...

A speed upgrade is going to have no impact whatsoever on the quality of your wireless connection.

It's possible your hub has an issue (given it rattles - maybe the antenna has come loose? :p) I'd avoid the call centre tbh and wait around here for staff (can take a day or two..) if the hub is genuinely faulty, it will be replaced (though they will probably send an engineer to do the swap, to confirm the current unit is defective and take it with them if they swap it - there seems to be a bit of a hub shortage at the mo)

Thanks for the quick reply.
The irony is that I have my PC Ethernet connected directly to the Hub, so it is not even a WIFI issue.
The Hub is working at the moment, but the fault is intermittent.
He literally told me that the HUB was getting overloaded and it was shutting down.
I told him that that made no sense.

I asked for an engineer to be sent out but the guy refused saying that it was not the HUB.

I thought that it was B.S., hence why I added this post.

I will wait for a member of staff to come back to me.

Once again thanks for your help.

No problem.

it's worth setting up a BQM - once set up, find the Live Graph and click "Create Sharing Link" - post that back here.

it'll show any drops on the WAN side of the link..

Staff here will help if there's a fault and (imho) it's a better bet waiting for them to engage than get frustrated with teh call centres.. 🙂

They may also ask for some more data from your hub, so you may as well post that up so that when they do come to teh post everything is already here... to do that, browse to your hub on  http://192.168.0.1 - don't log in, click Router Status - copy/paste the tables from the Upstream, Downstream and Network Log tabs back to this thread - you'll need multiple posts for this, the info wont all fit into a single one..

Brilliant.
You have been so helpful.
I will action your suggestions tomorrow.

Keep us posted!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Viirgin_Vexed_0-1625640002986.png

Viirgin_Vexed_1-1625640034003.png

Viirgin_Vexed_0-1625640157706.png

I think your last image may have been clocked as it contains identifiable info - IP / MAC address.

If it is the BQM:

CLick 'Share Live Graph' under the graph

Then paste the 'Direct Link' here

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Viirgin_Vexed_0-1625644793861.png