Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5

paul31
Tuning in

Good afternoon Forum.

I am in receipt of my new Hub 5.

I have read reviews that some are experiencing certain problems. I am concerned there may be issues with VPN's and Ring security camera connectivity.

Before I connect up/test, can I be assured that if there are issues encountered, I will be able to reconnect my other hub without any problems; due to registration of the new hub at Virginmedia.

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you old Hub is still working then the Hub5 has not yet been activated onto your account.

If you are happy with the Hub3 performance then stick with it rather than testing a new Hub for VM as there will be no guarantee it wont be buggy for you applications.

They will want the Hub5 returned.

If the Hub3 stops working then the Hub5 wll have been auto-activated.  So use that and test drive it.  Do not send the Hub3 back for a week or two until you are satisfied with the Hub5 as it will make it easier to get it back onto you connection

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you old Hub is still working then the Hub5 has not yet been activated onto your account.

If you are happy with the Hub3 performance then stick with it rather than testing a new Hub for VM as there will be no guarantee it wont be buggy for you applications.

They will want the Hub5 returned.

If the Hub3 stops working then the Hub5 wll have been auto-activated.  So use that and test drive it.  Do not send the Hub3 back for a week or two until you are satisfied with the Hub5 as it will make it easier to get it back onto you connection

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John

Many thanks for your reply.

The moral of the story is:   'If it 'aint broke don't fix it'

I took a chance and installed the Hub 5 - To my horror and frustration, the installation knocked out my

Ring security cameras, (up ladder to reset/install  buttons) three Amazon Echo's, 5 Teckin smart plugs & App 

'phones etc.

I spent 1/2 day re registering / installing etc. some things didn't work straight away, with consequent re-install.

If I had known the trouble I was going to endure I would not have bothered.

Fortunately my VPN wasn't affected.

The only good thing I noticed is there are no more flashing lights and the unit stands more firmly.

Although my computer is connected with an ethernet cable, I felt maybe the Internet was more responsive

throught the new hub ?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Paul.

I

My Hub 5 worked flawlessly when it was swapped out for the hub 4, We just reconfigured the hub5 so the Wifi network name was the same as the hub4 and EVERYTHING just reconnected. (Ring equipment, google nest x3, printer, security cctv and Echo dot x 3, mobile phones, xbox's)

Oh my,

I wish I had known that 😞 it would have saved an awful lot of frustration - I guess you

live and learn. Weather wasn't too good today, so it kept me busy; also a learning curve..

Password has to be the same as it was on the old wifi network also

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Paul31

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community and thank you to our members for your support. 

I am sorry to hear that your devices needed to be reconnected when installing the new Hub 5, I appreciate this must have been a pain. 

We are here if you need any support with your new equipment and although it is still on trial, please do get in touch if you have any questions or concerns moving forward. 

Thank you, 

Nat