cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5

Dan19
Tuning in

Just installing and setting up a new hub 5, yes we do use a split network at 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz.

If I connect anything via the 2.4, like alexa smart sockets of light bulbs. The DHCP service crashes the hub and then nothing is able to connect not even laptop devices via the 5GHz SSID connection. Only thing we can do is hold reset button and return to defaults and reconfigure again.

Can we have our old hub back please as this is not working for us, when we wrre told to get a new hub we thought things would be better... not worse.

6 REPLIES 6

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Well this will likely be fixed soon

If you don't want to wait you can get your own router with 1Gb ports or better and use hub in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Dan19,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear you haver been facing issues since being upgraded to our Hub 5.0, I was able to locate you on our system with the details we have for you and can see a technician has already been arranged for you, please let us know how things go.

Regards

Paul.

Morning

As indicated the VM engineer turned up last Friday and listened to all my issues, and understood what I was saying about the HUB 5 not automatically picking up any 2.4Ghz connections. What they suggested was dropping back down to a HUB 4.

This was installed and I set-up exactly as I needed and immediately once this was done ALL devices on the 5Ghz channel and 2,4Ghz channel connected and the devices started working.  We concluded that the HUB 5 technology (wifi 6) was too advanced and complicated for some of the older devices in the house.

If anyone else has similar issues when uprading to a HUB 5, please try and get a technician to downgrade to HUB 4 - otherwise you will get a continuation of 'Unable to obtain an IP address' when trying to connect.

Kind Regards

Dan

Hi Dan. Is your Hub 4 still working ok without the "unable to obtain ip address" issue with DHCP on Hub 5?

I'm having the same trouble and apparently it is a well known fault.

Thanks.

Client62
Hero

The Hub 5 is not fit for use in Router mode. As Modem the Hub 5 is fine, it is well worth the cost of  a Router to instantly be free of the Hub 5's DHCP / Wi-Fi / DNS issues that VM have remained silent on for the last couple of years.

Evening, sorry for the delay in reply, have only just caught up with this note.

I can confirm that the Hub4 has been really good at resolving those issues (will never go to HUB5), even during our 'many... many' local area drop out connections, while VM do cabling works that they will insist have no impact for us when they clearly do! When network is good the Hub4 fires back up and connects seemlessly to all devices. The Hub4 for us is fine.  Set-up has been ok for months now, only annoying issue is the riliability of the of main VM network.