cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5

Fozzie32
Tuning in

Hi everybody.  I’ve been following the posts on the Hub 5 with great interest.  Currently I use it in modem mode and feed directly into a Netgear R8000 router which handles all the wifi.

up till a few days ago - on 125 gbs worked fine on wifi signal around 30 feet away and through two walls.  No wifi dropouts and stable steady signal

Now just updated to 250 gbs - strong signal near to router but 30 feet away signal level very variable and even a few dropouts.

it seems I’m seeing similar issues to others who are using the native wifi on the hub

Really puzzled on this one - almost seems if my modem (wi fi 5 and set to 2.4 and 5 ghz bands )is being choked by the extra level of data feed

I would be very interested in some advice on the forum to tell me where I am going wrong!

thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
So currently your using hub 5 in router mode?
---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
But you are in modem mode - correct? If so there is no Hub wifi - its off. It all comes from the Netgear. But if the Hub is not "feeding" it with stable signal - that could be causing the issues. That would be evident on ethernet cable connected devices connected to the Netgear - are they flaky too?

So it might be worth pinhole resetting the VM Hub - that has helped a few customers fix issues post-upgrades. You will need to reset the connection as it will rever the Hub to router mode.
------
Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - first make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords and SSID’s will reset to those on the sticker.

See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
So currently your using hub 5 in router mode?

Thanks for the reply.  Yes it is in modem mode

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Then your Netgear is doing the wireless the hub only sees your Ethernet link.

What the speed like by wire?

In any a event it be your router how it handles the incoming to send over wifi maybe go back to 125M and see what happens? are you using Netgear firmware?

owen_a
Tuning in

The Hub 5's were rushed out. Even the technician who came after I started having issues said the same, plus confirmed in the call center too as they must have had loads of complaints about it. If I were you, I'd ask to downgrade. I even went as far as the Hub 3 since that thing worked absolutely fine back in the day. It also supports gigabit, so you don't need to upgrade. I'm running mine in modem mode with an Asus RT-68U and a few gig switches for various things.

500M (Hub 3) & ASUS RT-68U / 2 TiVo boxes

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What colour is the LED on the front bottom of the Hub5?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Speed on 5g near hub is 265.    40 feet away is drops top 40 or just does not connect. Trying to access hub 5 but that’s proving difficult too. I’ll get back and report later

Solid green

Will try a reboot later today and report