cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5

skunky
On our wavelength

Hi i have just noticed from my virgin email i can have a hub 5 but i noticed it had a date to order it by. Can i have a hub 5 as i could do with the WIFI it has i missed the offer by a couple of weeks because i have all my virgin emails going to one draw and simply didn't notice it.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The Hub5 is not on general release yet, if you are uncomfortable about "testing" new equipment - then dont go for it until all the glitches are sorted (search this forum) and stick with what you have.

What Hub model is it and what wifi issues does it have - the Hub5 will be little better in most circumstances

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The Hub5 is not on general release yet, if you are uncomfortable about "testing" new equipment - then dont go for it until all the glitches are sorted (search this forum) and stick with what you have.

What Hub model is it and what wifi issues does it have - the Hub5 will be little better in most circumstances

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

skunky
On our wavelength

I forgot to say i have a 500Mbps broadband and still only on a sb3. I seen awhile back that people was getting a free upgrade i never got one ?

I wonder if the modem i am using could even handle a upgrade.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The Hub3 is fine at 500Mbps. A Hub4 will be a little better if you are in an area with lots of subscribers as it uses more down channels - if not you would see no difference.

What problems are you actually having ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

skunky
On our wavelength

I don't use the Superhub WiFi i use my own router to deal with the WiFi. When i did try to use the Superhub one it wasn't working to good. It was dissconnecting or dropping connection dunno why though. So i never bothered with it after that.

skunky
On our wavelength

Well i would like to remove my own router i use for WiFi for start. I don't really have a problem just like i said in my first post Virgim offered me a hub5 and i was asking could i have it. Also why didn't i get a upgrade i seen everyone was getting a free upgrade by october last year.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Due to the current shortages of everything from silicon chips, electronic components, workers in Shanghai, shipping containers and lorry drivers, VM (and others) have a Hub stock level issue - which means they are no longer handing out free Hub upgrades willy nilly.

To get a new Hub right now the old one has to be "broken" - and even then the are using refurbished Hubs as replacements in some cases. The only guaranteed way to get a new Hub4 (not a Hub5 as its not "released" yet) is to upgrade to the 1GB package which necessitates a Hub4 - or pay £35 for an upgrade. These will start new 18 month contract periods.

The Hub5 is currently by invitation only and as it hasnt been delivered to you - I suspect that the Hub5 supply chain is similarly affected and so they have effectively withdrawn the invite to you.

A VM person should comment for you when they get here

--------------------
John
--------------------

skunky
On our wavelength

I just looked on there broadband web site and they say its £28 a month for the 1gig broadband...If that is the case how come i am paying £53:50 for 500Mbps and that is with a something like £13 loyalty bonus..Or dont tell me that dont appy to people like me.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It doesn't apply to people like you.

That price is for "new customers" - you had your own new customer discount when you first subscribed.

Only way for you to get that price is to... leave VM and rejoin in a few months or when it is that VM regard you as a new customer. Or after leaving immediately get another family member to join with an account in their name - not yours (not 100% sure they still allow that)

Or get onto "Retentions" and negotiate a new package deal with them. You may not get the £28 price, but it may be better than the £53.50 current price - but note the 1GB Plan Details say......

Your Virgin Media Price

£28.00 a month for 6 months
£62 a month thereafter. Prices may change.

That is actually ~£50.33/ month over 18 months.

If you want to give it a go .... see this...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/New-contract/td-p/4888761

--------------------
John
--------------------

@skunky wrote:

I just looked on there broadband web site and they say its £28 a month for the 1gig broadband...If that is the case how come i am paying £53:50 for 500Mbps and that is with a something like £13 loyalty bonus..Or dont tell me that dont appy to people like me.

Nope it doesn't apply to people like you, or me for that matter as, that will be the price for 'new customers' - you were a new customer once and had the benefit of paying less than other long-standing 'loyal' customers (just how much do I hate that term) at the time.

The initial 18 month contract price is a sort of loss-leader, VM make no money, possibly even a loss at that time, but they know full well that the bulk of customers won't bother cancelling at the end of the minimum term and will start paying the 'full' price - and that is where they make their money.

Now you can call VM and threaten to leave if they can't negotiate a better price for you, you absolutely won't get the new customer price - they would much rather you leave but somewhere in between that and what you are paying now would be reasonable as they know this is a guaranteed income for the next 18 months.

Of course if they call your bluff and offer you nothing then your only options are to just suck it up or actually give notice and look for an alternative supplier - who, incidentally will probably have a nice attractive introductory offer for new customers which gets bumped up afterwards. Swings and roundabouts really,.