cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 won't restart in modem mode

DFwood29
Tuning in

Logged into hub 5 to put in to modem mode to install mesh. It goes to a blue flashing light and then stuck on solid green and a spinning circle on the browser page at 192.168.0.1 I left it for a good while although it said it should take 5 minutes. On restart it went to a solid green light with no internet. I then did a pinhole reset which it takes it back to router mode with wifi.

How do I get it into modem mode or is it faulty?

11 REPLIES 11

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Solid green is modem mode.  When in modem mode you need to access the hub on 192.168.100.1.

And when in modem mode, only the first ethernet device recognised will work, so you must have your mesh system as the only device connected by ethernet.  Often that means means turning off the hub, unplugging any existing devices, then connect the mesh, then turn on the hub.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DFwood29 wrote:

Logged into hub 5 to put in to modem mode to install mesh. It goes to a blue flashing light and then stuck on solid green and a spinning circle on the browser page at 192.168.0.1

A solid green light on the Hub 5 is modem mode.  The IP address for modem mode is 192.168.100.1  You will need to connect via ethernet cable when in modem mode.  Once you have confirmed modem mode, power off the Hub.  Set your Mesh to DHCP and leave it on.  Connect the Mesh WAN port to the Hub and then power on the Hub.  It has to be done in this sequence so the Mesh can get a WAN IP.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks - that is very helpful - looks like we might have an issue with connection so will resolve that then try again

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello DFwood29

Just a quick message to see how the Hub is now and sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused you

I did check the Hub quickly and can see it is showing as Modem Mode 

Look forward to your reply 

Gareth_L

Yes thank you - all working now with Eero 6 pro mesh set up. Hoping the hub 5 has now settled down - we had been having issues with it dropping out and password not recognised on some devices. Hopefully this has been resolved.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

By all accounts the Hub5 works well in modem mode as do all the other VM hubs. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks for the update @DFwood29,

Glad to hear all is working for you now 🙂

Hope you have a lovely weekend!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Is the bit about only having your mesh connected to the Hub correct I had my switch etc connected too and it worked fine.

MIJ1
Joining in

I have put my hub 5 in modem mode. As others, I got the flashing circle telling me it was doing it. It just keeps on going. I have unplugged it and plugged it back in, I still get the green light, but it won't connect when I connect to 192.168.0.1 it just times out. I've reset everything 3 times and it does it every time. How do I fix it?