cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 wifi issues

johnrambo18
Dialled in

Since upgrading from Hub 3 to Hub 5, WiFi on some devices is worse. Ethernet is fine. But a Galaxy tablet is sluggish in moving between Web pages or eg viewing video on Facebook. VM support don't seem to have much idea. I have TP link repeater upstairs and connections via this seem better than through Hub direct.

111 REPLIES 111

Had similar issues Hub 5 is a piece of junk, installer put in one wifi didn’t hold, blamed my wifi mesh, took that out still issues, wifi worked on another one then he ran off, terrible wifi for days, Hub 5 now in modem mode and mesh wifi from TP Link working well. Installer said Hub 5 was experimental, no kidding.

Hi keenanrf, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the HUB 5. 

I am glad to hear that you have the issue resolved and we are always looking at improving the service. 

How is the service since posting? 

^Chris

After 6 months of absolutely terrible Wi-Fi problems with the Hub 5 - that have taken me to the brink of cancelling Virgin completely! - I took some time out a few weeks ago to investigate further.

After much digging and testing I found that (for my own setup at least) I’ve had to turn off the allegedly ‘Smart Wifi’ setting and I’ve disabled Channel Optimisation.  Initially this still only helped intermittently but I’ve since run the Windows Wi-Fi Analyzer and found that certain channels in my close area are all consistently using the same few channels.

I opted for a less congested channel for 2.4Ghz and another for 5Ghz and all my issues disappeared immediately.  Previously I had Wi-Fi dropouts every few minutes which was an absolute nightmare.  I’ve now had no issues at all for a few weeks.

Admittedly this may not solve everyone’s issues but it’s certainly worth taking a look.  From my experience this Smart Wi-Fi functionality is still clearly selecting congested channels and isn’t as good as it’s being made out to be.  Someone with a better knowledge of all of this might put me right but this is my experience so far and I can’t argue with the difference it’s made.  I won’t be turning Smart Wi-Fi back on any time soon!

Thank you for the update @pgeldard 

We are glad to see the issue has been resolved with wifi. Please continue to monitor your service and let us know if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Didn't work for me trying to connect Ewelink devices. Still trying, help...

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Badger1966, 

Thank you for your post to the thread. 

We are sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with connecting devices to your Hub 5. 

Is it just eWeLink devices that you are having issues with or are other wireless devices impacted? 

Thanks, 

Nat

Mikeys
Tuning in

I've got the issue where I enable wifi and it just stays disabled.  Tried to contact support via whats app, 5 hours later no response.  No live chat online. 

If you think I'm calling 0345 454 1111 fior 35p via O2 you've got to be joking.

Hi @Mikeys thanks for your post here although we're sorry to hear of your concerns.

We can see you have contacted us via an alternative thread where we have responded, so please kindly reply there and we can assist further.

Many thanks

Tom_W

The call costs on O2 will depend on the specific plan or package that you have. If you have a pay monthly contract with O2 that has unlimited inclusive minutes, calls to 0345 numbers will be included in your allowance. However, if you have used up your allowance, you will be charged 55p per minute.

Flightsimer
On our wavelength

I have the same issue. Upgraded to HUB5 from HUB3 and the Wi-Fi is awful. I can actually be in the same room as the router and still can’t connect. I have to go upstairs to where I have an extender and connect through that. My HUB3 ran my security Cameras outside my house with no issue, now if the camera is moved into the next room, it looses connection. I’ve turned off the 5gz channel to see if that helps but no. If I switch the router off and on again I get good Wi-Fi for an hour, it’s **bleep**. I’ve decided to leave virgin and go back to sky once my contract is up.